In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

win. 1897

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
Bert, are you still collecting data on these. I just picked up a 'C' series

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike,

Yes, I am. I just published my research article on the Model 1893, and am now working on doing the same for the Model 1897.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    here you go
    12 ga.
    ser.# C210075
    barrel 30" f.c.
    slide handle marked "Winchester model 1897"
    fore end 3 screw
    butt plate; steel w/w.b.
    I'll probably refinish it as it is 'brown' right now
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mike,

Is it a Take Down or a Solid Frame? Everything else you mention is correct for a June 1903 production Model 1897.

Thanks [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oops

take-down
    thanks
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert, I am interested in reading your article on the Winchester 1893, where can I find it? I will send you some information on my 1897 when I get a few minutes. It is a solid frame that I believe to be a first year production gun. The barrel is marked 1893 as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lkannes
    Bert, I am interested in reading your article on the Winchester 1893, where can I find it? I will send you some information on my 1897 when I get a few minutes. It is a solid frame that I believe to be a first year production gun. The barrel is marked 1893 as well.

The article is being published in the Summer 2017 edition of "The WINCHESTER Collector" magazine. If you are a WACA member, you get it free (part of your membership) - https://winchestercollector.org/magazine/

I will look forward to seeing the information on your early production Model 1897.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jim_lemay
    Winchester Model 97
    12ga.
    Serial Number 593815
    Barrel 30" FC
    Slide Rails & Barrel marked Winchester Model 97
    Matte Refinished Metal & Refinished Buttstock (not collector piece)

It appears that the barrel and slide bar assembly are not original to the receiver frame. Serial number 593815 was manufactured in July of 1913, and Winchester did not change the model designation from "1897" to "97" until early 1920.
  • Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester Model 1897
    Serial number 34772
    Solid frame, 12 gauge, no choke marking but it would appear to be a modified or improved cylinder choke.
    The barrel measures 30 inches and is marked Model 1893 patented 1890.
    It has the 3 screw forearm and a round knob buttstock with a steel buttplate.

I have some photographs if you would like to see them.

I inherited this from my grandfather and took possession around 1978. It is a gray gun with no finish left. The forearm was cracked beyond repair and I replaced it with a forearm from a gun that was supposed to be 1899 production. I did retain the original forearm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lkannes
    Winchester Model 1897
    Serial number 34772
    Solid frame, 12 gauge, no choke marking but it would appear to be a modified or improved cylinder choke.
    The barrel measures 30 inches and is marked Model 1893 patented 1890.
    It has the 3 screw forearm and a round knob buttstock with a steel buttplate.

I have some photographs if you would like to see them.

I inherited this from my grandfather and took possession around 1978. It is a gray gun with no finish left. The forearm was cracked beyond repair and I replaced it with a forearm from a gun that was supposed to be 1899 production. I did retain the original forearm.

I would like to see pictures of it. The receiver was serialized July 2nd, 1897, and it was received in the warehouse as a fully assembled ready to sell gun on July 24th, 1897. I was made with a Full choke (standard) barrel.