In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sporting clays/Trap shotgun

ap55ap55 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
What kind of used shotgun would be good for sporting clays or a few rounds of trap.I would like a 12 gauge pump under $400 used.I had a winchester 1897 and did good with it, is the winchester model 12 similar it in drop and comb? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    sporting clays was originally developed to simulate
    hunting with a shot gun with all kinds of conditions and all kinds of animals being hunted [^] Like lots of thing it evolved
    in some people spending lots of $$ to get a sporting clays shot gun
    That would have all kinds of choke tubs to take advantage of each and every different Shot coming up IN my opinion any shot gun will work but one with changeable choke tubes may be the best choiceThere are lot of different makes and model that will fit the bill Dont over think this and there is no valid reason to spend big $$$$just like cars pride of ownership is good but does not mean and older cat that is beat up won't still get you to work
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The only thing that trap and sporting clays (or skeet) have in common is that both sports use clay targets. Trap is so specialized that nothing works as well as a trap gun, and nothing is more useless for anything else than a trap gun.

Any skeet gun, or even a field gun, can be used for sporting clays.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like you use the clay bird games as pre real bird season training, that's what I do.

I'd look at something with screw in chokes like a used 870 Express.

My last round of trap was with a cut down to 20" barrel H&R Topper single shot with a screw in choke I installed. All 25, much to the surprise of most of folks about. I have shot all three games with my pistol gripped 20" 870 Express that shares choke tubes with the H&R - gets a lot of odd looks - but I can break a lot of birds with it. No perfect score with it yet.

Used hunting shotguns are best priced before Christmas - people sell them to buy presents. My last 870 E was only $100 in very nice shape, it only came with 1 tube and a long barrel.
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guys at the club that weren't using over/unders were shooting with Remington 1100's. No pumps in sight.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i use a browning 12ga limited edition sporting clays o/u with a adjustable comb for sporting clays as well as for skeet by adjusting the comb to shoot fairly flat and raise it to shoot higher for trap and use a browning 20ga XS skeet with a adjustable comb the same way. three clays games with two different gages, with no problems at all. the cost of your gun will be exceeded by far by the cost of ammo if you take up the clay sports. mr myopic.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well Mr. Christian, I'm going to disagree with your statement about trap guns being useless for anything else. I bought my Remington 870 TC in the late 60's and have spent the intervening years smashing the hell out of clay targets and slaughtering upland birds....all with the same gun ! I'm not one of those guys that heads out into the field on opening day not having any REAL practice with my hunting gun.....I practice all year long !

The only thing that trap and sporting clays (or skeet) have in common is that both sports use clay targets. Trap is so specialized that nothing works as well as a trap gun, and nothing is more useless for anything else than a trap gun.

Any skeet gun, or even a field gun, can be used for sporting clays.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    a winchester 97 black diamond 12ga in god condition will not be CHEAP!, look for a used remington wingmaster in 12 ga and put a morgan adjustable pad on it and shoot away. mr myopic.
  • Options
    ap55ap55 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for all of your help.I found a remington 870 tb with rem-choke at a local shop for $360.The wood is work of art.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A TB for $360 was a steal, even w/ fixed choke.
    Have used both 30" full & 26" skeet bbls for a decade on Sporting Clays w/ no probs, & finally went to a 28" RemChoke(R) bbl.

Rem's higher-graded "TC" had even fancier lumber.