In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How to tell if a Colt 1911 is National Match

PawnAPPawnAP Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
I've recently come into a few Colt 1911's one of them being a 1974 Series "70 MKIV Government model, and another being a Gold Cup, and I'm having difficulty determining if they are National Match or not. Any suggestion as to how to tell the difference.

-Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The full name is "Gold Cup National Match." This is terribly confusing to some because from 1957-1970 the gun was only marked "National Match", the "Gold Cup" was on the box and literature.
    After 1970, it was the "Gold Cup National Match Mk IV Series 70." After 1983 it got complicated.

A "Government Model Mk IV Series 70" is not "National Match" in any combination I know of.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    there is lots of confusion about the term national match

the first National match pistols & gold CUP pistols
    the first National Match pistols were made 1933-1941they were made in house& right side of slide marked national match then in 1957wehad the left side of slide & serial number -nm rear of barrel marked colt. 45 auto n.m.then we had all kinds 38 NATIONAL match guns 38supers 38 amu 38special marked mid range 1957 first GOLD CUP of National match markings to make matters worst the military started making match pistols out of older standard pistols for Their pistol teams to shoot in the camp perry National pistol matches then Springfield armory sold their name to to springfield INC a civilian company and they started marking some pistols NM as part of serial NUMBER
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To add to the confusion, it was rather common before 1968 to attend the National Matches @ Camp Perry with a 1911 frame and have the team, unit, branch armorers build you a 'NM' pistol from the replaced parts or upgrade parts. The going exchange rate was measured in Oz of liquid or cartons of cigarettes.

Thus, there are many 'National Match' pistols floating around with a matching slide, barrel, bushing but a non NM frame. Likewise there are mix master NM pistols out there too.

I'm talking about the 'rebuilds' and not the Colt Gold Cups.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting, that accounts for the mismatched military target pistols often seen around. Thanks.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time for humor, just shoot it if the gun groups 1/4 inch it is a National Match :)
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    PawnAPPawnAP Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you so much for your help this has cleared up a lot for me, very much appreciated.
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

This might help,,,,,,,

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/nm.htm

Thank you for this link. Very interesting information.