In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

One of One Thousand Engraved 1873 Winchester

spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
Looks like the real thing is up for auction on GB. Should I go ahead and hit the buy it now button right now or wait for everyone's even the experts' opinions first and then hit the buy it now but that may be too late hahaha. Seriously, I've been thinking about it and there is only 15 hours left.

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.GunBroker.com/item/681960715
    Beautiful rifle, but it's a fake, another in a long line of fakes from this scam artist, back on GB with another user name....again.[V]
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    Beautiful rifle, but it's a fake, another in a long line of fakes from this scam artist, back on GB with another user name....again.[V]

Is the Cody letter a fake too?
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx

See where it says 1 of 1000? Me either.
    I'm sure he didn't fake the rifle, but he's well aware it's a fake. I understand it sold on the RIA auction awhile back, and was returned as a fake before it was listed here. Pretty bad when you expose your own fake too.
    Look at the last two pics of the 1 in 1000 barrel markings, the last one is real, but from a different rifle. Look at his other auctions and take a close look at his boxes and labels.
    I'm surprised and disappointed that GB allows this scam artist to sell here.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The subject rifle is NOT an original Winchester Model 1873 1 of 1000... it does not letter as a "1 of 1000", and it is a known fake within the Winchester collecting fraternity. There have been several discussions about this rifle on the WACA website forum.
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone is calling this seller a scammer but he has great feedback. He has been selling fine Winchesters for some time now. Don't like to see someone denigrated without just cause.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You - I appreciate all the information I received about the Winchester 1873 one of 1 of 1000. I too thought that there was something wrong about an engraved 1 of 1000 with a buy it now price of ~ $80k even with all the documentation and all the seller's +A fb. I too remember the fake 1 of 1000 auctioned by RIA. It was an engraved deluxe 73 in excellent condition which had the correct serial number (SN); and I believe the SN was stamped in a font/script type which agreed with SN's font/script type in the Cody letter of authentication but was not a font/script that was available ~ 150 years ago. The same rifle also appeared in a book by RL Wilson. In the end, RIA was contacted by the owner of the authentic 1 of 1000 with the same SN and the fake was auctioned off again but now described as a fake 1 of 1000 - interesting story.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gartman
    Everyone is calling this seller a scammer but he has great feedback. He has been selling fine Winchesters for some time now. Don't like to see someone denigrated without just cause.

He has changed his user ID twice in the past number of years due to bad feedback, and believe me, there was/is "just cause"[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx

No, it is not, but take note of the fact that the seller carefully cropped the letter so as to conceal the serial number, and that the letter clearly does not state "1 of 1000" on it. All of the authentic Model 1873 1 of 1000 rifle serial numbers are known and published, and can therefore be looked up.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:He has changed his user ID twice in the past number of years due to bad feedback, and believe me, there was/is "just cause"

SO, WHY IS HE STILL HERE?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    quote:He has changed his user ID twice in the past number of years due to bad feedback, and believe me, there was/is "just cause"

SO, WHY IS HE STILL HERE?

David,

I am surprised that you asked this question. GunBroker is not going to permanently ban this seller until he commits a crime... money talks!