In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 59

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in Ask the Experts
A shop is going out of business and they have an interesting Model 59 12 gauge at a good price. Is this model considered a good quality shooter? Collectable? Manufactured 1960-65. It has a serial number, but the reference book I looked at says these were unnumbered by Winchester. SN is about 36xxx. 82,085 made in total. So the manufacture was probably pre '64. Anything you know will help. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought one. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. At 6.5 lb., pretty light for a 12 ga. Seems like a strange operating mechanism!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one years back. It was my favorite shotgun, always regretted getting rid of it. Like so many other guns, I have had, over the years. The light weight, do to the fiberglass wound barrel. And aluminum receiver, made it very handy. Much more so, than other Winchester Shotguns. I have owned over the years.

Actually its short recoil mechanism, was similar to other Winchester semi-auto shotguns made during the same era. Notably the Winchester Model 50. I believe the mechanism actually helped, as far as recoil was concerned. It never seemed that bad to me. Even concerting, it's light weight.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    For the most part every one I ever talked to that had one loved them and if I remember correctly it was the first production shotgun with interchangeable CHOKE tubes. There was a man that used to be on these forums that was an expert on the model 50 & 59. he runs a trap & skeet school now in I think OHIO I have his information somewhere he used to go by the name bobski
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've owned both the 50 and 59.. Never any problems.. Always liked their lines.. The steel model 50 was my favorite.. Here's some take-down info I copied from another site a few years back.. Should be the same for both models..

Post subject: Re: Cleaning/Disassembling Winchester Model 50
    PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:53 pm
    Shotgun Expert
    Shotgun Expert

Lock bolt back, remove forend and barrel, release bolt while holding handle (don't let it slam shut) and ease it forward while working out the floating chamber (tapered lookin piece out the front of the receiver).

Knock pins out and remove trigger. Remove pad, in the center of the tube holding the stock on you will see a wire clip locking the aluminum buffer plug, remove the clip and unscrew the plug, careful though it has spring pressure on it.

Remove the plug and spring
    now, there is a hole on the left side of the receiver, line the pin holding the inertia rod/bolt/bolt handle up with that hole and push the pin thru.

Look well at this as you remove it so you can put it back as is. Move the inertia rod back into the stock and remove bolt.

I use a drill, cleaning rod chucked in the drill, a 20 and 12 gauge brush, and assorted sizes of Scotchbrite wrapped around those brushes for the inside of the inertia tube, barrel, chamber, and floating chamber---with a little oil.

Do the inertia rod tube first, then polish up the rod itself. Barrel/chambers and inside the receiver. Clean the bolt and trigger group. Flush all out with brake cleaner or similar, and I go back with a light coat of Break Free CLP but any good oil will work, on all parts--inside the bolt and trigger.

The one getcha that you have left except reassembling, it is has to be timed. Oil the tube, and I-rod, put the bolt and handle back in, push the inertia rod back in (make sure the arc is up) and get those pieces lined back up and replace the pin.

Put it back together except leave the clip out that locks the plug. Screw the plug in about where it was--with the trigger in lock the bolt back.

Now, you need to screw the plug in til it bottoms out on the back of the rod, then screw back out til the bolt can be moved about 3/16" back from lock. Ease the bolt closed and locked several times rechecking this distance. Once you are certain, turn the plug back out just enough to replace the clip----lined up with locking holes.

This is a wear item, and it needs to remain about this distance, so from time to time check it to make sure it doesn't need to be reset
    this is important!!

You can also remove the magazine plug and polish/clean and relube it, should be good for a long while if only occasionally shooting.

Should be ready to go. I probably missed something, doing this all by memory, ask again if something is not clear.

One other thing----check the length of the spring, I think it should be 18" long, if not, stretch it or get a new one----they aren't expensive.

And here's the owners manual-

http://stevespages.com/pdf/winchester_59.pdf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot, Hangfire! I've printed that information and the owner's manual and will file it.
  • Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both Models 50 and 59 and really enjoy shooting them. The Model 59, in particular, is a joy to carry afield because of its light weight. It's a little butt heavy, but you get used to it.

From a practical standpoint, don't shoot anything other than light/target loads or you'll run the risk of cracking your receiver. I've seen a ton of Models 59 and 50 Featherweights, both with the aluminum receiver, with cracked frames caused by heavy-recoiling magnum loads. Yes, you can probably shoot heavy loads if your shotgun is perfectly maintained, but most aren't. Why risk buggering up a nice shotgun when light loads serve 90% of your shotgunning needs?

Second, if you can find a Model 59 barrel that'll accommodate the Versalite choke tubes, buy it. Not only will that barrel increase the value of your Model 59, it'll enhance your shooting flexibility.

In short, the Model 59 is a sweet, soft recoiling shotgun that's easy to carry for hours. Shoot it and enjoy it.
  • Options
    I intend to follow the advice re: using light 1 or 1 1/8 oz. loads in the 59.  I don't have much use for heavy loads anyway.  But I ran across a review of the 59 in the July,1960 issue of the American Rifleman.  They said that Winchester claimed that a 20 ga. shell ahead of the chamber with a 12 ga. shell behind it would not damage the gun when fired.  SO THEY TRIED IT!  TWICE!!  And no damage.  I'll take their word for that--I don't think I'll try it.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    Nowadays due to legal liability, and the bottom feeding lawyers. Who specialize in firearms ligation. You better believe that Winchester, wouldn't be making claims and publicizing stuff like that. 60 years have flowed under the bridge, since that AR article, on the Model 59. Way to much stuff have changed, to my liking. Regarding firearms ligation and liability.