In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your looking for a low cost over/under I recommend the CZ-USA Canvasback. I bought one a few years ago for 599.00 and they're still at that level. You can get them here on GunBroker.
    Mine fires each time, has selector 28" barrels, 4 chokes,extractor and not ejectors. Another low cost over/under that I bought here was a Stoeger Condor, in 20 ga. for my son, with 26" barrels. I didn't like the automatic safety and I was able to pull out the connecting link so it only has a manual safety. Too many times I pulled the trigger and found I left the auto safety on. I like to Condor better for field as it has ejectors and somehow I can hit better with it, only drawback it has a recoil sear. The recoil from the first barrel trips it to the second barrel to fire.....if you fire on an empty barrel first it won't set the sear to the loaded second barrel.
    The CZ doesn't have a recoil sear, that's a plus.

good luck researching
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.GunBroker.com/item/674988451

This seller lists another one of these every week. They are generally bringing around $275

quote:This shotgun is a brand new high quality over under shotgun in 12 gauge. It is an exact copy of the Tri Star Upland. The gun is brand new in the box never fired.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JMO, With the exception of Huglu, who makes the CZ shotguns, any shotgun made in Turkey is suspect to quality.
    Some parts are farmed out to contractors, that don't understand the words "quality control". So you get things like screws that haven't been hardened, firing pins and springs that haven't been properly heat treated, etc. Then when it breaks, good luck with warranty repair, or even finding parts.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never having had one - I can't speak to the quality issue. But I do have a Weatherby 28 gauge that was made in Turkey and the quality is a good as anything made in Italy - Spain - or the USA that I have in my safe.

"thorhammer" mentions the "recoil sear". I have a Silver Quail Unlimited - 1 of 100 - made in Spain. It does have the recoil sear. If the bottom - cylinder bore - barrel fails to fire - then all I have to do is push the barrel selector to the upper - improved cylinder barrel and it will fire. I don't have a Stoeger Condor - so I don't know if that technique will work on it.

Best Regards - AQH
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone else have a "recoil sear" shotgun and have you put snapcaps or fired shell cases in the chambers and "fired" the shotgun??? Since there was no recoil the other barrel's trigger is not set. Did you try pushing the barrel selector to the other barrel to see if it would "fire"???

If you did and it worked - I would be interested to know the brand and model of the shotgun. Contact me by e-mail -- "AdamsQuailHunter@comcast.net". I believe that there is probably more than two of us with "recoil sear" shotguns. If you have one and tried switching the barrel selector and the second barrel "fired" - please e-mail me so I can add that specific shotgun information to the notes in "The Standard Catalog of Firearms" and "The Blue Book". Many Thanks - AQH

Edit - without rearranging and digging to the back of my safe - I have a Savage 444-B <O/U> (auto-safety - recoil sear - other barrel "fires" when selector is switched).

Antonio Zoli - Domino <O/U> - Greener cross-bolt lockup (no auto-safety - mechanical sear).

Valmet 412-ST <O/U> (auto-safety - mechanical sear).

Fox BSE <SXS> (single trigger - auto-safety - mechanical sear).
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only recoil sear shotgun I have ever had was a Browning SP and when I wanted to relax the springs against snap caps I would have to pull one trigger and then bump the butt on the floor to allow the second barrel to release. Never tried moving the barrel selector as the first trigger pulled always released the hammer that was selected
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I had a Yildiz SPZ ME 20ga for a while, the action out of the box is very tight. I never had any problems with the gun, but I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it (I can shoot). Put it down, picked up my wifes semi-auto 20ga and shot a limit of doves no problem. I ended up swapping the Yildiz for a Franchi 720 Diamond, ain't no going back.[:)]
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a huglu over under shotgun
    Bought in 1985 or 1986 when I was stationed in Turkey.
    I've put a butt load of ammo through it, (standard velocity, no magnums), and it's never had a broken part. My only complaint was the ugly brown paint that they put on the stock and fore end. But I stripped all that off and oiled the wood and it looks really good.
    Don't know about Yildiz but my Huglu has been a good pirate copy of a browning.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Russian Baikels are very good,imo,,from my own experience, worth the little extra