In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

+P ammo

cocogunscocoguns Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
what is +P ammo and what is is useful for??

New gun??? No, honey, I've had it for years.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    what is the actual difference between normal and +p ammo i know it is a hotter load but how much?

respect for the rights of others is peace (Benito Juarez)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is +P ammo safe to use in a Colt Detective special and a S&W Model 60? Both guns circa 1980
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Asking S&W and several ammo makers if you can use +P .38 special ammo in model 37 & model 60 .38 special , nobody will advise it for fear of liability ... However when searching ballistic charts for regular .38 special ammo we see lots that have a greater muzzle velocity than some +P ammo .. Anybody got experience here ? Thanks for any comments ...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Whats the deal with plus P ammo? I see where Sig will void a warranty if its used in their pistols...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Arminius 45 long colt revolver and I want to know if it will handle Corbon +P ammo. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello can somebody please tell me what the +p ammo is plese i had somebody give me some personal protection 380 and they say +p and i dont want to shoot them till i find out what it means thank you
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't do in your airweight 37 (with aluminum frame and cylinder), your stainless 60 will stand it for a while. I reload for my 60 with full tilt 38 Special and have shot many 1000's of rounds, and it is still tight and accurate. If you want or need a 357 then get one IMHO.

My 60 is a first year production, before there was +p stuff I think. Choice of alloy and heat treatment has a big effect on how well a design/build copes with increased pressure. The old S&W model 66 will shoot loose with enough 357 rounds, a K frame issue I think. A J frame is even smaller.

My Sis has Lady Smith J frame in 357, not very fun to shoot with full tilt ammo. I'm sure it last her life time at 10 rounds every few weeks.

Yes I see the 637 (with a stainless cylinder) is rated for continuous use of 38 Special +P, which isn't a 357.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-637
  • Options
    bigborefanbigborefan Member Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a S&W model 637 Airweight that I use as a carry piece and it has it on the barrel that it shoots +P.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the modern, recently made 37's? But I ruined a early 60's, 37, shooting my handloads,(not that hot). Stretched the aluminum frame so badly, that it was out of time. A guy shooting next to me at a range. Got pissed, because pieces of the bullet were hitting him in the face.

The old Smith 37's, were made to be carried a lot and shot seldom, IMHO. Don't know about the new ones?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The Model 60 will handle +P, but the Model 37 defiantly will not. I have a 37 which I obtained form a retired detective who purchased it brand new in 1969. As Rufe said; the aluminum Model 37 was intended for regular carry, but only occasional shooting, and then using only the old .38 Special "police load", which used 158 grain bullet. Even with a diet of those moderate powered loads, the Model 37 was prone to develop cracks at the point where the barrel was screwed into the frame.

IMO, keep the +P ammo away from that model 37.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree that the M-37 is not suited for +p and it really shouldn't be a steady diet for the older M-60's either. For the Airweight I would use standard full wadcutter loads. The big flat nose is better at delivering energy that any round or tapered nose.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fully agree with no +P for the 37. The issue is not merely velocity, but pressures generated. Newer Mdl 60s are 357 Magnum (ouch. ouchouchouch!) and will handle +P 38 Specials.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To play it safe, stay away from the +P ammo if your gun does not specifically state they can be fired in the literature.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have transition model Smith Heavy Duty and reload for it. At the range one day while I was away from the line a friend "borrowed" a few of my reloads and used them in a Model 37. A 158 RNL with 12.5 grains of Unique IIRC. Got his attention but the gun stayed together just fine.

Given that so many shooters out there are mid level or lower informed and will shoot whatever fits, I think for the few rounds that would be used to save your life there's no problem. For practice, a lightweight J frame will kick enough regardless of whatever you put through it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cocoguns
    Asking S&W and several ammo makers if you can use +P .38 special ammo in model 37 & model 60 .38 special , nobody will advise it for fear of liability ... However when searching ballistic charts for regular .38 special ammo we see lots that have a greater muzzle velocity than some +P ammo .. Anybody got experience here ? Thanks for any comments ...

Thanks to those that posted a reply . I got the message clearly , stay with standard ammo , especially in the air weight 37 ... Best regards , Coco
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1