In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone knowledgeable on the War of Northern Aggression rifles?

CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
A friend asked me for help finding info on an old percussion cap Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifle that's been in his family for generations.
It appears to have old patina/pitting, and handmade screws, but the curly maple stock is in very good condition/brass hardware obviously cleaned.
On the right side of action/above trigger is stamped "WHITMORE & WOLFF" over "Pittsburgh". I found they were padlock company (1836) that began making rifles later.
There is a stamping on the left side of the barrel (above trigger) that reads "JAMES LITTLE" which research brought up as a well known barrel maker in the mid 1800s.
Here's where it gets tricky/skeptical... On the top of the barrel is a marking (not stamped), looks more like scribed/scratched with precision "Gen. L. Sedwick" (the L could be a J, and Sedwick could be Sedgwick).
Yes, I know of whom General John Sedgwick is...one of highest ranking Union officers killed on a the War of Northern Aggression battlefield, and famous for saying "they (Confederate sharpshooters) couldn't hit an elephant at this distance" just before he was shot under the left eye, and died.
THIS is why I'm skeptical that it could be counterfeit...popular General, famous quotes, just sounds too good to be true!
I have lots of pics but don't use the picture hosting sites to upload onto the forum.
If anyone is very knowledgeable about these old rifles and may be able to help, I can share the pics.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I typed "the War of Northern Aggression " in the subject box...why did it
    change to "War of Northern Aggression"?
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just encountered the auto-censor for the first time, huh?

C I V I L W A R gets changed to War of Northern Aggression.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post some good clear pic's. I think Bubba was playing with an old at the time rifle, you should be skeptical it's real not fake. If it were for a real general the marking would be clear IMHO.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't post the pics here (as stated above).
    I don't care as much about the name as much
    as any info probable years manufactured/possible
    use in the C I V I L W A R.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CLINTF
    I can't post the pics here (as stated above).
    I don't care as much about the name as much
    as any info probable years manufactured/possible
    use in the C I V I L W A R.

From your description, all that can be ascertained. Is that it likely, dates to the mid 19th Century. If the "Whitmore & Wolff", and "James Little", markings are authentic.

Provenance/documentation from the family. Tracing the rifle back, with photographs and documents like wills. Would be very beneficial.

During the early years of the C I V I L W A R. Specially on the southern side. It was not uncommon to bring firearms from home. Do to lack of sufficient guns, to arm all the troops. Proving this is a bear though.