In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bert H. Seeking opinions on Winchester 1890 Deluxe

RustyjackRustyjack Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
I'm considering a bid on this second model 1890 deluxe rifle.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/708711226

The serial number style concerns me...it's not the italicized font I'm used to seeing on the earlier rifles.
Does anyone think this is correct or has it been re-applied/altered?
And why might it have been done?
Any other faults seen?

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gun metal has been scoured / scrubbed / buffed...

Shows on the sharp edges - especially on the barrel - and the receiver flats / side plates...

Perhaps overdone - but what the gun looked like before it was attended to I have no idea.

The wood fit to metal is tight and flush - superbly so.

I don't believe it's been sanded or refinished.

Perhaps some stain rubbed over it to even out the tone and bring out the color and shine.

Checkering wear patterns (mint left - softened right - expected honest uneven wear) say to me authentic - original

Maybe a wipe with a super fine Emory cloth before that.

The grip cap is correct but suspect - I opine it's a replacement.

Superb sights - butt plate - muzzle / crown + receiver screw knob

.22 long is not .22 long rifle

You most likely know that and know the difference

Can't see the rifling or bore

Traces of straw finish / case hardening

Nicely found

All IMHO

Mike
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think Mr. mike did a good job of pointing out the many good points and just a few not so good points I suggest you place a post to BERT H and he may be able to tell you more
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rufe snow and Bert H can tell you much more about the gun...

As well as several other Winchester experts and aficionados

Edit your post title - put "Bert H." In front of title

He can tell you by looking at a screw or bolt that a gun was made on Tuesday and assembled by Fred...

It's quite amazing

Perry Shooter is being nice - I have some knowledge and used to specialize in inspecting assessing evaluating and describing guns...

I will watch with interest as the true experts weigh in - or comment on my remarks

Mike
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buttstock looks like something done to it, to much wear on the rifle to not have,,,,not that it matters. IMO, entry level for purists with the additions. ymmv.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rustyjack
    I'm considering a bid on this second model 1890 deluxe rifle.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/708711226

The serial number style concerns me...it's not the italicized font I'm used to seeing on the earlier rifles.
    Does anyone think this is correct or has it been re-applied/altered?
    And why might it have been done?
    Any other faults seen?

The block style font for the serial number is correct for this rifle. Based on the factory records, it was manufactured in October of 1902.

There are a few things that I see that raise concern;

(1) The butt stock has been helped (cleaned up), but it is original to the rifle.

(2) The front and rear sights do not match up with one another, and neither one of them is likely original to that rifle.

(3) The receiver has been cleaned with something abrasive. The wear to the bluing is uneven.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A very nice shooter I'd be proud to own. But with 11 days left, it's already at the max I'd give for it.
  • Options
    RustyjackRustyjack Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you Bert.

Do you know the reason a different font was used on this rifle?

Were serial numbers applied with a roll marking or hand stamped?

My guess would be the contour of the pistol grip required a hand stamped serial number application with different dies as opposed to rolled on. Would I be correct?
  • Options
    Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would seriously suggest that you contact the Cody Firearms Museum and have the configuration and chamber size checked via the original production ledgers.

Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert, what do you mean by the front and rear sights not matching up with one another?
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rustyjack
    Thank you Bert.

Do you know the reason a different font was used on this rifle?

Were serial numbers applied with a roll marking or hand stamped?

My guess would be the contour of the pistol grip required a hand stamped serial number application with different dies as opposed to rolled on. Would I be correct?

Serial numbers were machine stamped, not hand stamped. The mechanism for applying the serial number on a curved tang was different than the one used for applying it on the straight tang.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Bert, what do you mean by the front and rear sights not matching up with one another?

The Lyman No. 5B was designed to use with a rear peep sight, and when it was factory installed, it was nearly always accompanied by a Lyman No. 1 or a No. 2 tang sight, and either a blank piece in the rear sight dovetail, or a Lyman No. 6 folding sight. The 22-series Sporting rear sight with the 1C elevator on that rifle was introduced just months before that rifle was manufactured. I sincerely doubt that it was factory installed.