In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

origional 1911 parts

mikey p.mikey p. Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
WTB Original parts for colt 1911 I have an old 1911 and I am trying to restore it. Built in 1912 for the Navy. I can provide a list to anyone who can help

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    need slide lock slide spring plunger for a 1911 built in 1912 for the us navy where to get old parts?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have lots of 1911 parts but don't know which of many different vintages of yours need but I will be some time for me to look in my books and see exactly what is the correct style and markings for a us navy I have some early fire blue parts but I think they are for civilian units I know the pistols them self are Navy marked don't know about the parts you want yes Neal is correct give me the part by what colt calls that part I may be able to look at my stuff this week
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found a pic of a Navy contract 1911 one of 500 made 1915 and it looks like nice blue to me (perhaps one of the last lots marked for the Navy). A "mostly original" three digit # Navy contract made 1912 also of lot of 500, looks like normal military finish and sold for +$17000 Sept 2017

Have you considered contacting Colt? Perhaps they still have the drawing # in a file somewhere or even better yet scanned. Earliest I could find so far was a 1936 1911A1 scan.

https://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Archive-Services

To contact Colt Archive Services directly:

Phone: (800) 962-(Colt) 2658 ext. 1343
    Fax: (860) 244-1439

Paul Szymaszek- Historical Research Assistant - ext. 1849

added Half the 'fun' is figuring out what the correct part is, then the real 'fun' is finding them. There might not have been any design changes. Fortunately I'm a shooter not a collector and would be concerned if the plunger failed to function correctly. Once when I was a kid shooting my dad's rat grade 1911A1, (spot lighting rabbits) the slide lock left while I was shooting. Two to four rounds then click - my sight picture looks funny. I had to buy the replacement part. I also started learning the intricacies of the pistol at the time. Things like steering the ejected brass with the radius on the extractor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thankyou guys for the reply It is a nice old gun made in 1912 for the Navy Through the years some small parts have been swapped out I would like to put it back to original If any of your parts are correct and are for sale please let me know
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THANKS Any help with old parts is appreciated
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First you need to get a schematic & figure out the correct name for the parts you need. Pretty standard is the the NRA Firearms Assembly book, or maybe Gun Parts Corp.

Colt sold their stock of old parts in the 1980's, so don't expect help from them. There are still a few small dealers who specialize in obsolete guns parts, but you just have to look online, & maybe at guns shows. I needed some parts for a 1970's era Colt auto, & it took me 10 years to find all of them.

You may want to try:

Gunpartscorp - (phone or email, not everything they have is listed on the website)

Larry Poppert - popperts@aol.com

Jack First - ?

Bob's Gun Shop - gunparts@hsnp.com

Good luck with your quest - Neal