In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can someone identify Make/Model of this Cylinder?

wallyentwallyent Member Posts: 280 ✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
Came across this nickel cylinder. Can someone identify the Make/Model of this as it is? 357 Mag fits perfect. Cylinder body is 1 9/16" long and 1 1/2" diameter. Inside on end has an "S" stamped. Looks excellent and almost as new but am unsure what revolver/make or how to tell. Thanks.
IMG_51791.JPG
IMG_51831.JPG
IMG_51821.JPG
IMG_51802.JPG
IMG_51811.JPG
IMG_51841.JPG

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the approach cuts to the locking notches. It appears that the cylinder revolves clockwise. Which denotes Colt to me. But which Colt Model, is the 64,000 dollar question? They started making double action .357's in the 50's. Lot of different models, over the years since then.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rim around the whole rear cylinder face instead of the flat face of a Python or Trooper says Trooper Mk III or V.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is a photo, off one of our members site, (Hoosier Gun Works). Of a Colt, King Cobra Cylinder. Looks like HC called it!

colt_kingcobra_cylinder_*.jpg
  • Options
    wallyentwallyent Member Posts: 280 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Basically there is no rim around rear cylinder face.The pictures sure look like it in some way though.Maybe faint lines/wear? from just being turned??
    So if it is flat face are we saying it is for a Python?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that what the guys are saying is, your cylinder is not for a Python, but likely a similar Colt model without a rim.

I don't think that it is for a King Cobra, since that was not cataloged in nickel; but, it could be for an Ultimate Polished Stainless Steel King Cobra. But, the edges of the flutes look rounded from polishing, so maybe it is a blued cylinder that was nickel plated.

If you check the part number of the cylinders at Brownells or Gunpartscorp, you may be able to figure out which revolvers used the same cylinder.

Neal

EDIT: Of course it could be a clone of a Colt, maybe even one intended for black powder. Without a positive ID & careful inspection, I would assume the worse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wallyent
    Basically there is no rim around rear cylinder face.The pictures sure look like it in some way though.Maybe faint lines/wear? from just being turned??
    So if it is flat face are we saying it is for a Python?

Don't even positively know if it's a Colt? They made a number of 357 revolvers starting in the 50's. 357 mag., & Trooper. Cylinder might be for one of them?
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the ring around the cylinder is not a raised rim, maybe it is off a E or I frame Colt. Python, Trooper, or Three Fifty Seven.