In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SAKO stock problem

DAMMITDONDAMMITDON Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
My model 85M SAKO IS 5 YEARS OLD AND THE COMPOSITE STOCK IS SO STICKEY YOU CANT LET GO AFTER YOU PICK IT UP.ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND HOW DID YOU SOLVE THE PROBLEM?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is that what ever solvent, oil or cleaner you use isn't compatible with the stock finish. I would contact them for advise.

If you don't find any help I would try and strip it with a really good solvent like methyl ethyl ketone peroxide (read and heed the MSDS), and then sand and repaint in a flat color(s).

http://www.sako.fi/support/contact-us
  • Options
    DAMMITDONDAMMITDON Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Factory said wash with soap & water,did no good.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine had the same problem with a pre-Garcia Sako .243 Win - he would call the rifle "his sticky stock Sako". He took the stock off and used Casey stock conditioner and that seemed to work well. He probably used it more than once until he was satisfied with the results. I've used it to remove old finish oxidation and it gives the stock a buffed new finish look.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, reread your post and saw that your stock is a synthetic. My friend's Sako stock was a high gloss wood stock. The Casey stock conditioner may not work on a synthetic stock. I have used Flitz metal polish to remove oxidation from Ruger 77II scalloped synthetic stock and it definitely works there but I don't know about how effective it would be on sticky synthetic rifle stocks, etc.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Wipe it thoroughly with a terrycloth towel wet with denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol. Let it dry & spray it with krylon for plastics.

Dip it in a hydrobath decal tub & a sheet of Real tree.

Swap for a Bell & Carlson or Boyd's.

Get good with a Dremel and a drill, and make one that fits perfectly.

Do you live near high humidity/temperature? I'm in the middle of the stinkin' desert, and the synthetic stock on my TRG-S gives me no grief.