In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

removing rubber

He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have a magazine in very nice condition except that someone left a rubber dust cover on it years or decades ago. What is the best way to remove the rubber residue stuck to the mag, without damaging the blueing? Mineral spirits?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Solvent of some kind should work nicely. My favorite is methyl ethyl ketone peroxide but it is hazardous stuff - the good news is it doesn't take much and you only usually need to do it once rather than hang out will lesser solvents for up to hours. Acetone as in nail polish remover could work.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I start with milder stuff, such as citrus dissolver. Then I move up to Crud Cutter, & finally acetone. Failing that, it's chisel & hammer time.

But, I suspect that your mag is already ruined. I have been given several M1 carbine mags with rubber covers, & the finish was always ruined under the cover. Apparently the rubber traps moisture between the cover & the steel, with rust the inevitable outcome.

Neal
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Solvent of some kind should work nicely. My favorite is methyl ethyl ketone peroxide but it is hazardous stuff - the good news is it doesn't take much and you only usually need to do it once rather than hang out will lesser solvents for up to hours. Acetone as in nail polish remover could work.

I suspect you methyl ethyl keytone which is a readily available solvent.

Methyl ethyl keytone peroxide is an explosive and in lower concentrations it is used as a catalyst for polyester resins.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whether the finish is damaged has nothing to do with the magazine working.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know at what temps heat will degrade bluing, but heating to near melt temp and wiping with a coarse rag should remove residue.
    Depending on the compound somewhere in the neighborhood of 375-400 degrees ought be hot enough.
    If it's light enough to begin with, or just a small amount of residue remains, use a bit of oil on the rag.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,385 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    If it was mine, I'd put in a pan of diesel for a couple days.
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soak in in KROIL... It will dissolve almost any adhesive....
    JIM...................
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I have a couple of good options. The finish appears fine under what I have scraped off with a thumbnail.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Best" way will depend on exactly what type of rubber it is and what you've got lying around

But pretty much *ANY* organic solvent shouldn't hurt normal gun bluing (which itself is a type of iron oxide) and will probably work.

Have you simply tried your normal favorite gun cleaner? I'd be pretty surprised if something like Hoppes didn't take that right off. WD-40 would probably work. Rubbing alcohol might work.