In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Match Target DOB ?

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited October 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have the above SN 1446-S W/6" barrel. I think the SN dates it to 1948. Can anyone verify that date for me? I'm not sure I have the right SN chart. Thanks much, Tom

PS: Series 2 I think. T

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Series 2,(button mag release would be 1949),(heel mag release 1969), per the Colt look-up site.

I always differentiated the Colt target .22's by what they termed "issue".

"First", was the short frame pistols that were developed from the original Woodsman.

"Second", with the button mag release that were post W W II.

"Third", When the went back to the heel mag release
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    the one you have is the best of the 3 types and go for the most of the $$ of post war ones great pistols
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    the one you have is the best of the 3 types and go for the most of the $$ of post war ones great pistols

+1,

When Smith brought out their model 41 in 1957. And High Standard started manufacturing, their top of the line target pistols in the 60's. They ate Colt's lunch, beat them at their own game. Colt couldn't compete, and folded their .22's finally in 1977.

Colts late production .22's left a lot to be desired. I bought a minty Woodsman, dating to 1975 awhile back. The trigger and sights weren't up to par, considering the price.