In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ithaca 37 info

rmillrmill Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hi. I own two Ithaca pump guns (model 37's) and neither of them have a model number on them and neither of them say Featherlight on them. Just curious, when did Ithaca start stamping Featherlight on their pump guns and was there a year they started designating (marking) the model on the gun? They're both matching numbers guns made in the 40's... thanks for the info! Randy

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my dad's 37. He had it in the early 60's I think, perhaps before me.

They have the dates with serial numbers from 1937, no production for 43-45.

http://ithacagunrepair.com/IGSN/IGSN.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie, but it didn't tell me what I was curious about. My 20 was made in 49 and my 12 made in 46. BUT, I had an Ithaca 37 a few years back that actually had the model # on it and Featherlight on it as well. Was trying to see if anyone knew what years that transpired. Thanks anyway! Randy
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rmill: I have 8 Ithaca 37's. They were made in 1939, 1940, 1941, 1946, 1948, 1952, 1956, and 1982. They are all marked Model 37 on the barrel. A typical barrel marking is, "ITHACA GUN CO., INC., ITHACA, N.Y.-MODEL 37". But only the 1952 and the 1956 are marked, "FEATHERLIGHT". (My 20 ga. made in 1982 is marked, "ULTRAFEATHERLIGHT"). I have the book by Walter Snyder but I haven't found any reference to the start of the featherlight marking. To tell the truth, I hadn't noticed the lack of that designation on the early guns until you mentioned it.

EDIT: The Featherlight designation has the little circle with the "R" in it, so apparently sometime between 1948 and 1952, Ithaca registered Featherlight as a trademark even though they used Featherlight in their advertising before that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ambrose, you are right! Mine both have the model number on the barrel as well (I don't know WHAT I was trying to say in my earlier posts as I re-read them!) But, the Featherlight designation is my question. THANK YOU, that helps! At least I know that it started AT LEAST in 1952-ish...