In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Picture of proof mark on colt commando

204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
[img][/img]https://imageshack.com/i/poDcifMQj

Anybody know what it is
My first time doing a photo like this. not sure if this is how your suppose to do it or not. Let me know

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    try macro on camera mark to faint
  • Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say your 'crown w' was a good call. I think the dutch Wilhelmina proof was a line worth looking into. The ones I found have a crown over a script W, but your could be an early version.

Second maybe it's not a proof mark but an acceptance or service mark.

added additional looking found this lead
    cut and pasted (sorry the photo was photobucketed)

The mark you are refering to is in fact now known as the 'Woolwich Stamp'.The photo attatched is from a document - "List of Stamps Used by the Department of Inspection of Munitions". My copy is dated April 1918, however I have seen a re-issued list dated 1939. It would seem that when British Inspectors went to America in 1939 to examine munitions that were being manufactured there, they took their stamps with them. Up until now this marking has been somthing of a mystery, but the list confirms that it is a British Inspection stamp. So far it has only mainly been noted on small arms were a contract for supply was entered into, such as Colt 38/200 revolvers, Smith & Wesson 9mm Light Rifles and Savage made 1928 Thompsons: although not the very first order I susspect. Interestingley, I have seen the stamping on two Colt Woodsman pistols in the Pattern Room, were no contact for supply is known but an off the shelf purchase was made. The full story of the Woolwich Stamp has yet to be uncoverd."