In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Amer. Ranch 450 BM stock

grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have a suggestion for adding weight to the hollow stock on these guns? I opened it and found a piece of Styrofoam jammed in it. I'd like the gun to weigh a bit more and be quieter than a bass drum.

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've always cut fishing pencil lead to length and put in butt stocks.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cleaned shot mixed with like 5 minute epoxy. Seldom can you balance corrected or adjusted to the way you want it with weight added in just one place unless it's a very small amount.

Fishing weights on line wrapped and tied in the areas of interest make for rapid testing.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    grdad45,

quote:Anyone have a suggestion for adding weight to the hollow stock on these guns? I opened it and found a piece of Styrofoam jammed in it. I'd like the gun to weigh a bit more and be quieter than a bass drum.

One of the simple methods is to use some lead weights in some form then use a hot glue gun to tack them into position inside the stock to achieve distribution the way you need it. Then buy a can of that expanding foam and fill the buttstock. That will subdue any rattling and the hollow sounding noise. If you don't find it comfortable just scrape out the foam, pop off the weights and start over.

Best.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How big of a hole?

If it's big enough I'd say one of those mercury shotgun recoil reducer.