In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping Antiques

TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
This may be a stupid question but I will ask.
We will be listing a Springfield Model 1870 Receiver and Breech Block.
I know it can be shipped anywhere in the U.S. with only a few exceptions without going through an FFL.
My question is can I ship this USPS Priority Mail or am I still stuck shipping it via UPS?
USPS Priority Mail would be much cheaper than UPS Ground. Would like to save
the customer some money on shipping.
We have a Springfield Model 1884 Barrelled Receiver listed and would like to know if
we can legally ship that also via USPS Priority Mail.

Thank you for your answers.

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes you can. And you might note that you may also legally MAIL an unloaded rifle or shotgun by US Mail. You can find that in Chapter 14 of the Domestic Mail Manual under Restricted Mailings. Antiques are in their own class and can be mailed. Modern handguns may only be mailed between Manufacturers/ Dealers,
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Let me caution you because a lot of stupid people invite hassle.

It's legal to ship, the USPS book says it's legal to ship, but don't go running your mouth in the post office that it's firearm parts.y
    Be creative on the insurance. Block & receiver, receiver & barrel, small antique barrel, antique parts, and antique mechanism are good starts. Never use breech, sight, stock, or action as these invite hassle and theft by being firearm specific.

Never lie on customs forms or USPS documents, just use terms they don't understand. [;)]

You avoid much hassle by using common sense.
  • Options
    TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks.

Now I can lower the shipping costs. Makes things much more affordable.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I've never had to state the contents for USPS insurance but, if I did, I would say "Antique paperweight".
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Machined parts is non specific and works just fine if you have to list contents, like at brown.