In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

remington nylon 66

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hi Everyone,
Any ideas on how to bring the plastic stock on a Nylon 66 ( Black ) back to it's nice high luster / shine Thanks Rocky

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I've recently aquired a Nylon 66 in 22lr. It hadnt been fired in many years and was seized up. I've torn it down and cleaned it up, but cant seem to get the small 'cartridge feed insert' in properly. I've written to Remington for a manual and only got a exploided view.
    If I put the insert in thru the top it blocks the bolt from traveling forward, in thru the bottom interfers with the 'cartridge stop' and wont allow the triggerguard to line up with the pin holes.
    I'd rather do it myself instead of taking it to a gunsmith, anyone know what to do?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just bought a brown nylon 66 for $120.00 , what is it worth and where are the serial numbers ? it has 34p stamped on barrel just ahead of receiver. thanks for any info
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I fell into a good deal on a very good condition Nylon 66, the date code off the barrel is "LG 10". If I understand the code right that makes this a 1960 DOM. Where would I find the serial number on this? I had thought they were on the receiver cover but this one does not have any stamped on it. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need parts for a Remington nylon 66. Can no longer get parts from Remington. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Charlie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are all Remington Nylon 66 in Apache Black chrome plated? Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Purchased a very nice 1964 MB nylon with the original box to give as a christmas present for my son. Question is that when I work the action I cannot get the bolt to lock back for cleaning the barrel. Does the bolt lock back or am I not doing something right?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the BEST WAY to mount Uncle Mike's studs on a Remington Nylon 66 stock ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone make fibre optic sights for a Remington Nylon 66?

Jim Kammerer
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone tell me how to remove a cracked butt plate of Remington Nylon so I can replace it?
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bolt does not lock back.

BTW, according to the owner's manual, the rifle is intended to be self lubricating, and Remington does not recommend disassembling the rifle. From personal experience, if you DO decide to take it apart, be sure you have an adequate supply of profanity.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not disassemble that damn thing.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do take it apart, it will go better if you cock it first, apply the safety, and keep it cocked until it's reassembled. Don't mess with the trigger assembly except to spray it off with an aerosol cleaner. Wipe all oil off the action. The nylon parts don't need it and oil just gums up the works.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 More on "DON"T TAKE IT APART", unless you have a need for raw materials for a floor lamp (no need to ask me how I know).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just trying to clean the barrel from breech to muzzle with an otis kit and needed to lock the bolt back. Gun functions perfectly and have read where they do not need any oil or lube. I do not plan on any disassembly at this time and appreciate all the good helpful answers.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    " Remington does not recommend disassembling the rifle"

The understatement of the century.

To properly clean the barrel, remove the "action cover" (2 cross screws hold this in place). Loosen the large screw seen on the underside of the forearm, push the barrel retainer up slightly, and pull the barrel out the front of the fore end. If you choose to take the bolt out after removing the barrel, hold the bolt and pull the bolt handle straight out the right side. This releases the bolt under power of the action spring(hence the instruction to hold onto the bolt). Resist any urge to take anything else apart or you'll be sorry.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a basket case one back together once, never again.
    Dad traded for one, had a lot of ammo threw it. Never missed a beat. However when it was 35 below it cycled really slowly, I could watch the bolt move. As it started back home the new round would jump into the chamber well ahead of the bolt.
    My second favorite autoloader.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do take it apart, call Jim Starke.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Bolt does not lock back.

BTW, according to the owner's manual, the rifle is intended to be self lubricating, and Remington does not recommend disassembling the rifle. From personal experience, if you DO decide to take it apart, be sure you have an adequate supply of profanity.

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi....I used a piece of rope from the cocking lever to the butt, tied to the correct length loop to hold the lever open for cleaning. BT
  • Options
    322nd322nd Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolfpack, I have some familiarity with these pleasant handling rifles. I just purchased another one of these and finished cleaning out the loose debris in the receiver area underneath the cover as well as the barrel (no oiling!!!). As long as you don't go any further than what "Mobuck" explained, it is a piece of cake as he describes it. I would only add that you have to pull out the charging handle to the right (firmly grasp it and it just pulls out)first before removing the receiver cover. As "Mobuck" described, the barrel comes out easily after removing the forearm screw. This will allow you to clean the barrel from the breach end. Kim