In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Selling Armor piercing Bullets

capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have 600 vintage pulled .30 black tip 163 grain AP bullets. Just the bullets. I see lots for sale on GB, put am concerned if there are any laws about selling AP bullets. In this day age you have to be careful.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be local laws that ban them. I shot many thousands over the years. I really liked the 5 gallon bucket of pulled BT I bought as a kid for a penny each and loaded with H-4831 at $2/#.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as FEDERAL law, there are limits on the MANUFACTURE of handgun AMMUNITION that is armor piercing. Not for the sale of bullets, and not for rifle ammunition. Until very recently (they may be sold out now) the Dept of Civilian Marksmanship was selling black tip 30-06 ammo.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "armor piercing" bullet rules generally apply to HANDGUN bullets, or to a few classes of loaded ammunition that can be used in rifle caliber handguns.

There are restrictions on manufacture of armor piercing handgun ammo, and also on importation of same.

So far as I know mere possession or sale of .30 cal rifle bullets aren't restricted at all. . .but I suppose its possible there are places with LOCAL laws against those things.

There is a special BATFE/legal carveout for the military black tip .30 cal rounds. BATFE was going to ban the green tip AR .223 ammo, but I think it relented on that.

quote:Exemptions: The following articles are exempted from the definition of armor piercing ammunition.

5.56 mm (.233) SS 109 and M855 Ammunition, identified by a green coating on the projectile tip.

U.S. .30-06 M2AP, identified by a black coating on the projectile tip.
  • Options
    capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    What makes it confusing is that these .30 bullets can be loaded into a .308 cartridge and shot in a Contender handgun.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by capgun
    What makes it confusing is that these .30 bullets can be loaded into a .308 cartridge and shot in a Contender handgun.

CYA by making the buyer sign a statement that the projectiles (do not use the word bullet) will be used only to assemble (do not use the word manufacture) ammunition intended for rifles and will be in compliance with all federal, state and local laws.

You are fine on the federal level, but it is up to you to sift through the countless state and local regulations involved in shipping ammunition components.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by capgun

Pretty much ANY rifle cartridge "can" be shot in a handgun. Even 50BMG (see below).

The BATFE (so far) hasn't taken the position that just because "some" handgun on the planet is capable of firing a given round, that said
    round is a "handgun" round.

50 BMG handgun:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMkiDguYtGw
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many auctions listed here are for items that are restricted or banned in some localities. A lot of sellers state, "It is your responsibility to ensure this is legal where you live."

quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah

The BATFE (so far) hasn't taken the position that just because "some" handgun on the planet is capable of firing a given round, that said
    round is a "handgun" round.

I thought that was their excuse for banning the import of 7.62x39 steel core Chinese military surplus during the Clinton years?
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly