In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.2-4-3 WINCHESTER

ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
I acquired a Turkish Mauser in the past that the chamber was unknown. I did a chamber cast and it's in 2-4-3 Winchester. I've just now acquired a used die set. This is necked down to .22 cal. This is not the Middlestead, nor Ackley chamber. The rcvr. has been drilled and tapped 2 holes up front & one rear.
I'll need to get scope base & rings and wondered what would you recommend for optics on this Rifle? Also interested in any hand load data you may have for 80 or 100 grain bullets. Whatever info you can share will be appreciated.....

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that tune.

.224/2 4 3 Winchester. Sounds a lot like a 22-250 Rem.

There is a glitch in the system I entered the proper description and yes it autoconverted much like the War of Northern Aggression
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not heard of a cartridge designation like .867-5309.
    What does that signify and what are we talking about in American?

Reference to Middlestead makes me think it might be a .867-5309
    necked down.

OK, I enter Two Four Three and it shows .867-5309. What's up?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    22/867-5309 Winchester
  • Options
    edited November -1
    twenty-two two forty three Winchester. Wildcat with two forty three necked down to twenty two...Hope this gets Us on the Topic. Dpo not know why more digits appear than what is entered. Looks like a phone number & zip code, tracking # rather than what I wanted to appear...
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not Middlestead, not Ackley. Is it improved to some other shape or just a straight neckdown?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This chamber is just a simple neck-down. I've been searching for a die set for a year or two and finally purchased a used Forester .22 - .867-5309 on the dies that looks hand stamped. Have not tried to neck down anything yet. The cast I made has the same shoulder angle as a .867-5309 therefore it is a simple neck down...Now I have to measure this Turk action that is a '98, but I've researched and it may be a large ring/small ring barrel. Don't care as I don't intend to re-barrel at this point and will try and work with this chamber. Otherwise I'd have it re-barreled to 6.5 x 55 Swede..