In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

marlin 336 & leverevolution

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
Both my son and I have marlin 336's in 30-30. When chambering the leverevolution, his you must work briskly, mine more vigorously or they will jam. Extraction is great. Do not have this problem with Winchester, Federal or Hornady cartridges and you do not have to work the lever nearly as hard. Only the leverevolution in 30-30. Also my marlins in 35 rem and 308 MX do not have this problem. Anyone else encountered this or have an knowledge of it?

Comments

• Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cartridge sizing may be different and cause some drag or your chambers may need some light cleaning, I would use a chamber brush and clean both chambers, never leave any lube in chambers, I lube barrel and then clean out all oil I can get with cloths.
    check the cartridges for scratch marks before and after cleaning, after you fire the rounds they will fire form your chamber.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    just to note; when using the newer l.r. ammo in older guns you are supposed to replace the magazine follower with the 'new' type. feeding is much improved.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not every gun feeds all ammo. I think the 45-70 L. brass is shorter to make up for the longer bullet. Perhaps there is some difference in the 30-30 L. that your rifles don't like. Break out the dial calipers and compare the ammo. Anyway +1 for a good chamber cleaning.

Interesting Not sure what a follower in a mag tube can do (a spring maybe) but hey it's got to be a cheap fix if it works.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "but hey it's got to be a cheap fix if it works."...........it helped my 336 (early 1950's)in .35 rem. a LOT. this was directly from Marlin, before they sold out.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are mid 1990's JM produced marlin's and have the correct dimpled follower. Hangs up on feeding, catches on the shoulder of the case, know this because of the dents. Both feed reliably with with other brands, even the Hornady American whitetail and it should be the same case as the Hornady Leverevolution. Lifter does not bring cartridge up quite far enough when cycled (unless it is done very briskly and I do mean briskly), and I believe that the polymer tip when entering the chamber actually compresses and fouls the case at an angle. The round nose bullets do not do this. Could definitely be wrong but I believe that is what is happening. My 336, 1994 production, in 35 rem and and the 308mx eat the LE rounds without a hiccup. May try another box of LE's and see what happens.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    VERY,VERY,carefully, run them through a 30-30, full length sizing die. After removing the decaping rod.

Lee makes what the call a factory crimping die. That supposedly returns the brass, to factory spec after crimping. That might work even better than the full length sizing die.

EDIT #1,

If you don't want to run all the ammo through, a full length sizer. Just coat one round with the ink, from a black Sharpie pen. The high spots where the ammo is out of spec will be rubbed clean. Factory new ammo, shouldn't have a rubbed clear area. If it's in spec.

Contact Hornady, if the factory ammo, shows spots where the Sharpie ink has been rubbed off. This will be the tell tale, that the ammo is out of spec. I'm sure they would be very concerned, about any out of spec ammo.