In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

STEVENS MODEL 320 - 12 Gauge Ejector Install?

ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
edited November 2017 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a used Stevens 320 -12 gauge pump shotgun. It was missing the Ejector. It came in original box with Owner's Manual. I called Savage and they promptly sent me a new Ejector Assembly at no cost. Problem is they have no schematic, nor exploded diagram showing how these parts position to each other in the receiver. The serial # puts mfg. date @ Sept. 2013. The ejector assembly they sent consists of a small machine screw, a long slotted, ribbed metal stamping (the ejector), a small metal tab with screw hole with small tabs I'd guess secures the ejector with small machine screw into threaded hole now in left inside wall of receiver. Also included is a coil spring looking like a ball point pen spring.
I called back today and asked if they could send me some print to show how this assembled. No they told me as the shotgun is not made here. (China)
Hoping someone out there can describe or picture how this will go back together. The Owner's Manual only shows basic field stripping and swapping out of barrels, etc.
Thx,
ENBLOC

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bunch of schematics on Google, and videos on U Tube. This seems the most relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXQ2gYTV2J8
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've already watched that particular you-tube, along with others. There is nothing pictured about the ejector & assembly..
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are only a few pieces to puzzle out. Perhaps you could find one at the local store or next gunshow and look inside to see the arrangement of the screw, washer and the ejector. The spring would likely fit under one end of the ejector in a hole in the receiver.

I didn't have any luck actually finding a proper schematic either.

added Well at least they answer the phone - too bad they have nothing overly useful to say. But hey free parts is worth something.

Post a pic of the parts would help. I think the spring would go in first, then the ejector - square edge of the lump facing forward toward the barrel - lump facing into the action center; then the tabbed washer over a section of the ejector - either at the spring end or the other end with the screw thru the washer and (perhaps the ejector too if it has a hole) into the side of the receiver. They could also fit into the bolt carrier.

Look for a slot that is as least as long as the ejector, a hole the spring diameter in size perhaps 1/2 has deep as the spring is long and a threaded hole that takes the screw. I assume the ejector is flat steel bent into a shape, not a round or square rod.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charlie I guess I'll have to go handle another 320.
    I called back to Savage/Stevens AND they cannot help with any drawings. They did verify that the spring is part of the assembly. There are 4 parts. The long blade like ejector, a clamp with ears, small coil spring & tiny machine screw that goes into rcvr.
    Savage/Stevens said to take this to a Gunsmith, OR return it to them to replace/repair. It's all about Liability. She did confirm the coil spring is to put tension on the ejector.
    Still hope someone out there has a 320 and can look inside & tell me what they see?
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage 320 is a copy of the Winchester 120 series.
    The Bolt, trigger group, Ejector, and barrels all interchange.
    All but the stocks and forearms for some reason.
    Big problem on the Winchester was the ejector
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank You Charlie. I figured it out with your suggestions and that the girl at Savage/Stevens told me the coil spring was to put tension on the ejector. Once I had the rcvr. clear of bolt, trigger assmbly etc. I did see a small hole in back of rcvr. Next I could see the one end of ejector spring/stamping had a slimmer end that fit inside this coil spring. I could also see how this ejector would position now front to rear with the "lump" facing towards the inside being the spot that would kick the empty shell out of action. Now that tab/screw was figured out in that the machine screw head was too large to pass through the long slot of ejector spring, rather it merely holds the small tab with bent wings to the rcvr. wall. You could see were the front of ejector had steps that fit the wings perfectly once slid in and under these wings. I took a Q-tip and some alcohol to clean out tapped hole and surrounding area. Then with some blue lock-tite I put tab with wings up towards front of action. I tightened the screw snug I then put coil spring over slim tab on rear of stamping/ejector and put into hole in back. Pushing back to bottom out this coil spring and stamping/ejector you had to not let go, or it would launch forward. I could see you had to pull up towards center of rcvr. in order to have the steps in front get far enough back allowing you to slip the front wider tab under these wings. Once done the steps stop the ejector going any more forward and the wider tab is now locked in under these two wings. I lubed up the ejector and bolt with RIG silicon grease and everything seems to be in the correct position and I reassembled the gun putting the bolt, slide, back into the rcvr. and ejector has clearance working inside milled groove of bolt. I next re-installed the trigger assembly. Installed cross pin and put barrel back on & magazine tube cap. All is well! The Stevens 320, Win. 1200/1300 & Sears Ted Williams Models ALL have this long curved metal stamping/flat spring with raised lump as the ejector. All models differ in how this is secured within the rcvr. They do not interchange. Once Again Charlie Thank You! I did "puzzle it out" once I could see how this long ejector laid within the rcvr., that there was a hole in the far back to accept the coil spring and there was a tab that fit inside said coil spring. Seeing next that the machine screw head was too big diameter to fit through the ejector and go into the tab I could see how the front of this ejector would have to fit into and under these wings of tab to secure same to rcvr.....[8D]
  • Options
    GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ENBLOC, what is the phone number you called for Stevens?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just went to their web site www.savagearms.com and got phone # for Customer Support (8am-5pm EST Mon.-Fri.) 1-413-568-7001 OR 1-800-370-0708. By providing serial #'s I found date of mfg. for both the 12 & 20 gauge Stevens I now own... You can also submit request via Email at their site too...