In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Carbine ID

conwaymacconwaymac Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Can someone point me in the right direction as to how I can ID a true WW2 M1 carbine? Are there any recommended books that would help in this? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the markings. There were several US manufacturers of USGI M1 Carbines, including Inland, Winchester, Saginaw, etc. Commercial Carbines were made by Plainfield and Universal.The GI article will have the maker's name and serial number on the rear of the received, somewhat under the rear sight. Also many of the parts are also marked. A description here would require a book - which is why you did ask about that. IMHO, oneof the best books to I.D. M1 Carbines and the parts for correctness is "U.S. M1 Carbines Wartime Production", by Craig Riesch. He has a second edition out now. The book is a paperback and is indespensible for the Carbine collector. Drawings, descriptions, and very complete tables about which maker used which parts on their production make it easy to I.D. what you have. The book also has serial number information that tells you whether a Carbine should have a type-1, type-2, ... part X where you now see a type-3 part.I velieve that CDNN has Riesch's book available.If you post back here with information about the markings on the rifle, I (and most likely several other knowledgable folks) will help you out.
  • Options
    madscotsmanmadscotsman Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Bruce Canfield's "Infantry Weapons of World War II". I found it very useful and a must for anyone collecting or researching in this area.
  • Options
    conwaymacconwaymac Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks very much! I'll post some info assoon as I can and I do appreciate your help.
  • Options
    madscotsmanmadscotsman Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost forgot to mention Bruce Canfield also has a book titled "Collectors Guide to the M1 rifle and M1 carbine". This book will also have more info on your M1 carbine and the different variations.