In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

what can i do to a 336 marlin 30-30 to shoot more accurate

ty95ty95 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
what can i do to make a marlin more accurate can it be freefloted with the band on it ? can a trigger job be done and also my leaver gets caughty some times can it be worth the time to make it better ?

Comments

• 32wsl32wsl Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lever action rifles are not as accurate as bolt actions. Especially if there's a two piece stock involved. If you get an inch and a half group with open sights at 50 yards, that's good. With a scope, you should get 1" groups at 100 yards. I wouldn't spend much trying to improve what you have, other than getting better sights. As far as getting the lever caught on brush, that's an occupational hazzard.
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    If you mean the lever gets stuck,and is hard to open,there is a plunger in the lever,with a spring behind it,held in by a small pin.This plunger can be replaced ,and it works smoothly.The 336 is about the smothest lever in the biz.
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Same problem I have with mine. All you can do is hope you never have to shoot at anything to dang far off. They are wonderful little guns but not to cottin picken accurate for the most part. They sure make a mess of a small hog at 30 yds!
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • Dragunov7.62x54RDragunov7.62x54R Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Handloading helps, find a good bullet that your barrel likes, and get the proper seating depth for your rifling helps a whole lot.Firelap your barrel to, couldn't hurt.And get your barrel cryo-treated if you can afford it.My lever would sometimes get stuck on the last round, would jam bad to, had to get a screw driver to push the round back, turned out my magazinetube follower was in backwards.Polishing the internals couldn't hurt for reliability either, get rid of some of those rough tool marks.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you decide to handload, you might look into having it rechambered for the .30-30ackley improved.You will still be able to shoot factory ammo, just as accurate to, but you will be able to handload ackley improved ammo from the factory brass which will fireform to the shap of the chamber and get another 100fps or more than if you reloading normal .30-30win
  • CarstenCarsten Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have rented a .30-30 Acley reamer and are going to do the job myself on my '94 Winchester. I'm an experienced machinist so it should be an easy task but how do I get the depth right?
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a new Marlin? Cause I had to figure what ammo works best for my marlin when I first bought it, but since then it is an absolutely great shooter out to 100 yards(havent tried any farther). I have not had a dang thing done to it, and it is going on ten years. It is my favorite rifle to take to the range(not that I have many rifles) and it is the only gun I use for centerfire hunting(whitetails)
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    PRACTICE!
    Guns don't kill people, it's the bullets, stupidI am the NRA, the KABA, NJ Area Rep for the 2ampd, and the AARP :(njretcop@copmail.com
  • roundballroundball Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FYI...I've become somewhat of a Marlin fanatic over the past 20 years...have several .30-30's and .35Rem's in various configurations;Federal and Remington factory loads are perfect in all of them, and my reloads are:.30-30 reloads are Hornady 170grn Flat Nose, 30grns H322, seated mid-cannulure;.35Rem reloads are Hornady 200grn Round Nose, 40grns H335, seated mid-cannulure;All rifles are tack drivers, holes touch at 50yds, iron sights, from the bench...
  • harrybob66harrybob66 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    try lapping the crown with a cratex or very fine sandpaper .i have found that most used hunting rifles could use the crown touched up.i once removed a burr on the crown of a ruger 220 swift brought the group down from three inches to less than one inch.
    arkgnsmith