In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1904 colt saa

shawnhoagshawnhoag Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have an saa made in 1904.The blue book of gun values states that the Verified proof mark was put on guns starting in 1903.Mine doesn't have it,but has instead a "5",where the "vp" should be.Also the grips were never scratched with the serial #'s.The cylinder also is not stamped with the caliber markings(which the b.book states didn't start until 1920 anyway)but it has a double stamped 6 or 9,depending on how you look at it.Also has a "&" mark on the cylinder and a number.I'm almost positive this gun is original(as I know the family it came from,very wealthy so nothing to gain by saying its fake)and am wondering if these abnormalities could be factory mishaps from a huge production year.Also on grips inside is an arrow or a "y".Thank you for any help.

Comments

• Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's start with the basics. Your sn should be somewhere between, say, 250000-260000.Hopefully it matches throughout.Many of those markings, especially the ampersand and additional numbers are strong indicators (the ampersand in fact is a dead giveaway) that the pistol was sent back to the factory for reworking/refinishing - I would imagine an extensive one from your description of the gun.As it stands, its a "mixmaster." A factory letter is in order, which should shed light on the rework.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com