In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

powder burns on stainless steel

slidder12slidder12 Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
sold my taurus ragin bull 454 and got a smithmod 29 stainless 44 mag 61/2 barrel (ol dirty harry type)previous owner did not clean it as good as i would have liked..there are power burns on the cylinderand on the cylinder face..any good way to remove this and get it looking new again??

Comments

• Options
    1blitzer1blitzer Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try flitz polish.
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have had good luck with fine steel wool and a little oil.morty
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    Miracle cloth, or something like that. Yellow oily cloth, made by Outers or Hoppe's or one of the big outfits. Polishes it right off.Be aware that anything you use to remove the burn marks will do so by also removing metal.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Egotistical Rogue, Evil, Dangerous Racist Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always used Flitz and it works.
  • Options
    rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen the lead rags used for stainless guns. Works good, but will almost wipe the blue right off a non stainless gun.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boy, you got skid marks... Thats what we call them, the black marks on the front of your cylinder from firing alot without cleaning.Try a nylon tooth brush and some CLP bore cleaner, it works.
  • Options
    slidder12slidder12 Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys you always steer me in the right direction...the flitz cloth did great on the sides of the cylinder and the clp bore cleaner and brush did great on the face .. guess i shoot it when i get back..getting shipped out for you know were..
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slidder12, Keep your head down over there and get home soon. The whole country appreciates your service and protection.