In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FIrst pistol???

steve187steve187 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Hi i'm new to guns but looking to get into them. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has an opinion to which pistol is good for a beginer? thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    bfairbfair Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here ia a web site with some basic info. http://webusers.warwick.net/~u1028604/buyingyourfirstgun.htm
    Home of the Blue Angels, P'colaSemper Paratus
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice from SP. There seem to be quite a few of the older S&W 6" K-22's showing up on auction sites. If you have the money for one, it would be a quality piece for your lifetime.
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxonpig forgot about the Ruger single six. It would be a good first handgun too. It's 22.cal and single action (you must cock the hammer each time you shoot it)
  • Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first pistol was a ruger single six 3 screw flat top with a .22lr and a .22wmr cylinder. If you are strapped for cash you may consider a heritage rough rider. not as pretty but functional and half the price.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wiredog has a point, I have a rough rider and it is a very good gun. I think I paid around $125 for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why should I buy a revolver first??? I have shot guns before. I lived on the farm for the past 4 months. However I only shot rifles, all .22 and all but one was bolt action. The other was a autoloader (has clip = auto loader right?). Is there really that much difference between rifle/pistol aiming??? I was looking at a Taurus PT 22 and was wondering on the opinions of this gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I shoulda worded my first post better, I am new to pistols.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Revolvers are more simple than autoloaders and most of the time just a better gun for beginers to learn how to safely handle a handgun. Revolvers will shoot any brand of ammo where autos sometimes will not. Also if you carry a revolver with the chamber behind the hammer empty it is alot harder to have an accident. You are the only person that can decide what gun you are ready for. I just like revolvers better and have found that most beginers do too. If the taurus is what your heart is set on I say go for it. Whatever gun you buy have someone who knows guns to go with you the first time you shoot it. Safty first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bfairbfair Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just one thought since your a rife shooter.You shoot a Pistol or Revolver with both eyes open.
    Home of the Blue Angels, P'colaSemper Paratus