In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-30 reloads help

ty95ty95 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
hey i have seen some lead heads from siarra and from spear and need some help i want to fully load a 30-30 marlin but i want about a 100 to a 135 grain lead what recipe will be a good load for loading the lead heads look like flat top -hollow points but im not sure if its a true to load in my rifle

Comments

• Options
    drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
    edited November -1
    Do you have a speer #13 reloading manual?
  • Options
    762308762308 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO-No-No! He was asking about "Lead Bullets", The Speer reloading book willn't list it! He needs a Cast bullet reloading book! Just so you know right off the bat, you can't load "Lead Bullets" with the same powder charges as a jacketed bullet or you will foul the bore. Ok, now as for your 30-30win and a 125gr RN "lead bullet" you can use 20 to 22grs "Max" of IMR-3031 powder, i have droped to 19grs but don't go any lower. You can e-mail me if you need anything else? I shoot alot of "lead bullets" out of 30-30win, 308win, 30-06spring, 300win mag and 8mm Mausers. There a kick in the butt! Very lite recoil to them. Later, Howard 762mm@prodigy.net
  • Options
    ty95ty95 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    no it was a jacketed hollow point and the rifle had pleanty of copper fouling had to clean with gun brite all thetime to get the fouling out and keep it clean ,im new to reloading so any info will help
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon gives its' highest performing load for 125-130gr bullets using H322 powder as follows: 35gr for 2484fps up to a MAXIMUM of 37gr for 2663fps. Always work up to a maximumload and be sure to give the the reloads a good crimp.
  • Options
    roundballroundball Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think all the Hodgdon manual lists are recipes for jackedt bullets, not lead bullets...Pressures will be lower and velocities will be higher if lead bullets are used with those recipes.