In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

12 gauge slug reloading ?

heavyleadheavylead Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
Does anybody supply stuff to reload 12 gauge slug or sabots?

Comments

• Options
    The ButcherThe Butcher Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen slug molds, in reloading catalogs, that use a shotgun wad and a regular crimp. I have a friend who loads his own with that equipment. The accuracy is not near that of store bought fodder. He gets 2" groups at 50 yards, but the area he hunts, is choked with crabapple and briers. There were a few others, one was called the collet slug, which was a hornady XTP, or a similar bullet incased in molded plastic sabot. There was a organization, called the slug group, that had all the latest info on slug shooting. You may want to see if it still exist. Also, there are Slug shooting competitions, I'm sure there is an organization that could steer you in the right direction. You may want to get in touch with that guy that writes for buckmasters, I think his name is Dave Henderson. He writes the slug and blackpowder for the magazine. Hope this helps
  • Options
    32wsl32wsl Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. Like most reloading you will have to match the casing, wads,power,slug, and crimp to the instructions given in the manual. I use tables found in Lyman's Shotshell Handbook, 3rd ed. Use fiber and card wads of various dementions and usually find my small needs at gunshows. I cast my own slugs, but several months ago on this site a gentleman gave a site location that sold ALL kinds of slugs (sorry, I know it's there, but have lost the address). I also use a roll crimper, something hard to find, and pricy for what it does, but the tables do give loadings for folded crimp (but not many. But I agree with The Butcher: They are great to practice with, but can not compete with store bought slug loads. When all is said and done, buy commercial loads for big game: the cost of the ammo for your hunt is the least of your costs, and definately one of the more important items. Targeting with a box or two of these will pay big dividends and only costs less than $10. The bottom line for shotgun slugs: cost savings in reloading these is not worth it considering the few times you will be using them, and the availability of inexpensive commercial loads. (20 years ago this wasn't the case)
  • Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are there 3 1/2" slug shells? How makes thwm? cost? Best, Robert
    "Endurance"
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been loading mine with Brenneke slugs in all brass cases with a roll type crimp. The Lyman shotshell Handbook gives several loadings and is a very good reference book for all shotshell reloading.The pleasure I get from the all brass cases is hard to imagine until you do it a hear the oohs and aahs from the hunting partners.The next thing you know they want them too.I started with six hundred cases and am presently down to 250.Those Brenneke slugs fly really good and they about turn a buck inside out.They drop as if they were poleaxed.modoc
  • Options
    heavyleadheavylead Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    MODOC where do you buy your brass and slugs and what press do you use?On the marlin site a member told me to check out BALLISTIC PRODUCTS INC. for shotgun reloading supplies.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a location to buy slug reloading components. Click onto the helocopter then go to "slugs" in the directory www.ballisticproducts.com