In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sig Pro questions

gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in Ask the Experts
I'd like to get another Sig and I was checking out the Sig Pro at the gun shop today. I'm not sure if I should get the Pro or another Sauer P226. Also torn over the .357 SIG or the .40. I had planned on getting a Glock 22 for my first .40. I know, I know. It's all a matter of preference. Any input from Sig owner would be much appreceiated.-Marcus

Comments

• Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a w. german mfd. sig 220 I traded it for a sigpro sp2340 in 40 s&w I love the pistol. it takes the same mags as the .357 sig all you have to do is get a new barrel from sigarms to complete the conversion and then you can shoot 2 different calibers from the same pistol. i have contacted sig and they are out of the barrels right now. I will eventually get one. I use my pistol for shooting IDPA. I really love the "i" sights it is super easy to aquire the targets. all you have to do is "dot the i" it is a single post in the rear with a dot front sight. I have found them easier to use than the standard 3-dot sights. one of the nicest pistols i have owned aside from my .45 acp sig 220 that I had. Also the frome size anf weight is almost identical, the sigpro is a little smaller and lighter because of the polymer frame. hope this helps.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,023 ******
    edited November -1
    The SigPro is a good gun. I am not crazy about it for two reasons.1. It has a plastic frame.2. It has ONE armorer-serviceable part in it, that being the fire-control module. For most problems with the SigPro, it has to be returned to the factory for repair.Some people like plastic frames. If you do, go for it.The other problem is not a problem for the average consumer. The gun will probably never break, and if it does, you are probably not a SIG armorer anyway, so you will have to return it for repair.The beauty of the .40 VS .357 argument is that there is no argument. You can convert by replacing the barrel and then shoot both calibers.My personal favorite is the 229 in .40. I also prefer the short trigger option.I also don't really like the standard SIG sights. All our guns have the factory night sights and I do like those.It's a matter of choosing what you like, that's all.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Egotistical Rogue, Evil, Dangerous Racist Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    Christian B.Christian B. Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I absolutely love my Sig 229... and even though I also have a glock and several others... I'll carry my Sig to save my life.I've just ordered a inside waistband holster for it and a kydex paddle holster for it... I intend to carry it more often. I almost lost my mind thinking something was wrong with it last week... turns out there was. It seems to have been stuck with a stupid owner.I looked at the Sig Pro when I was buying mine and took the advice I got here and stepped up to the 229... and I'll happily pass that bit on to you. I tried out the G-22, the Sig Pro, and the 229 before I bought... try it.christian
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    I bought a 2340 18 months ago & fell in love; bought the SIG .357 barrel this past March & use 'em both regularly. Like the flexible nature of "two-in-one" despite my lack of need (& permit) to carry. Haven't had the desire to try a 229 but I know they have a great reputation; I just tend to prefer the lighter-weight frames.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I already have a P226. I REALLY like the idea of the exchangable barrels. I'm going to rent one soon to try it out.My wife just bought me a range membership for my birthday, so I'm sure I'll be there a LOT more.-Marcus
  • Options
    Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I HAD A SIG 2340 TRADED IT FOR A 226 BOTH 40S&W.NEVER A PROBLEM FROM EITHER.I AND LET ME REPEAT I AM A LITTLE MORE ACCURATE WITH THE P-226.I CAN HOLD A TIGHTER GROUP WITH THE LARGER GUN ALSO.IT SEEMS THE 226 IS A LITTLE BETTER BALANCED.JUST MINOR THINGS HERE AND THERE BUT IMHO THE 226 IS THE BETTER OF THE 2 BUT THERE IS CERTAINLY NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PRO SERIES
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2
  • Options
    poker_fishpoker_fish Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your looking for something smaller like the SigPro and are even the slightest bit worried about shooting a gun with a plastic frame. Do like Christian B said and check out that p229. Even though it's a compact, it fits in the hand nicely. And no matter how many different "excellent" reviews it gets, it's underrated! I wouldn't trust my life, or my family's life to nothing else.- poker_fish
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I actually don't care for the size of the 2340 or an of the other compacts. I'd prefer the size of the 226, but I REALLY like the two-in one thing. Also, to the 2340 owners that replied: how do you go about getting the other barrel? Is it directly from SigArms or can I get it through my local Sig dealer?-Marcus[This message has been edited by gravedigger (edited 10-16-2001).]