In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

corrosive ammunition

ginger49023ginger49023 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
What is the best cleaning method to remove deposits from corrosive ammunition?
Commercial bore solvents?
I have been told that a mixture of soap and water run through the barrel a few times will actually work.
Comments form the experts are much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ginger49023ginger49023 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the best cleaning method to remove deposits from corrosive ammunition?
    Commercial bore solvents?
    I have been told that a mixture of soap and water run through the barrel a few times will actually work.
    Comments form the experts are much appreciated.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hot water & soap will do it, but best to use GI bore cleaner. I believe some commercial products will do the job, but you have to read the labels carefully.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soap and hot water is best because the deposits from corrosive priming are salts which are soluble in water not oil based cleaners.
    I've been disappointed by USGI bore cleaner but if it's inconvenient at the time use the GI stuff and follow up later with the hot water and soap.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The easiest and cheapest way I've found to neutralize the day to day deposits of corrosive ammo is a 50-50 mixture of ammonia and water (This is recommended on many of the military gun sites). I just swab the bore and bolt face with the mixture followed by a dry patch: then a good oil til the patch comes out clean. If the patch doesn't want to come out clean, swab the bore with Hoppes #9, JBs'bore paste etc til it does. I shoot corrosive stuff almost every day and the bores my old Russian rifles look good.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,274 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I clean mine the way the Marines did in WW2 and Korea. I get a little sauce pan and put very ot water in it, about 2 cups. Put in a squirt of dish soap. Pull the bolt from the gun. Put a patch on the cleaning rod. Put the pan on the floor and put the muzzle in the pan. Run that patch up and down the bore ten times. Follow this with a couple dry patches. Then I use a patch of Hoppes #9, followed by 2 dry patches.
  • Options
    mattsmilitariamattsmilitaria Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I clean all my guns with "Shooters' Choice". It is the strongest stuff I have ever seen! It will clean out anything! I scub the bore several times, then use a soaked patch several times, followed by a clean patch several times. Finally I run a patch soaking in "Rem Oil" through it. If you are shooting collectors' grade guns like I am, this is the best, and most re-assuring!

Matt
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,274 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whichever technique you use, be sure to check your bore 3 days after you clean it, and again 7 days after. If it looks at all fuzzy, run a patch down it. If that patch is covered with red rust, you better clean again. Your bore isn't ruined, or really even damaged if you catch it within a week. I shoot lots of corrosive ammo, it is ok once you learn how to deal with it.