In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

COLT LIGHTNING RIFLES,DIFFERENT??

bjsgear@hotmail.combjsgear@hotmail.com Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
JUST BOUGHT TWO COLT LIGHTNING RIFLES,38-40 CAL, MY FRIENDS HAS AN ELONGATED HOLE IN TOP OF RECEIVER, MINE,WITH NO SER NUMBER, HAS A SLIDE ON TOP,TOTALLY OPEN. IS MINE EARLIER OR LATER MODEL?? I CANT FIND INFO ANYWHERE, THANKS IN ADVANCE, BRYAN.

BEEJAYYY!

Comments

• Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't really understand what you mean,a picture would help,but what I think you mean is that your friends rifle does not have the dust cover but yours does. I have never seen a Colt Lightning with no serial number. Are you sure that the number hasn't been worn off as they are often lightly struck. In any case your .38-40 is what is known as the "Medium Frame"and was made from 1884 to 1902 about 84,000 were produced. If you plan to shoot your rifle be very careful as the Lightning is a very weak action. The bolt is only held closed by the projection on the bottom of the bolt butting up against two lugs on the trigger guard. Use only black powder cartridges or smokeless cartridges that approximate black powder pressures.