In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Forbidden Ammunition

11thcanopy11thcanopy Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
Everyone is well aware that certain firearms, handguns, rifles and shotguns are not allowed for sale or resale in California.

What about cartridges, are certain calibers also forbidden?

Collector cartridges also ??

If so, where can I obtain a current list of rounds that are not allowed.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Mr. Canopy, I am a dealer in South Orange County. California law currently prohibits possession of calibers greater than .60. This is above the federal law of .50 so a Boyes anti-tank rifle is simply another rifle here in California. You are prohibited from possessing armor piercing HANDGUN ammunition. This would include anything mentioned in the federal law as well as "Handgun ammunition designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor". That is a direct quote from Penal Code 12323c. You are prohibited from possessing tracer ammunition- except in shotgun shells. There are also a few other restricted items like pyrotechnic devices, rockets, and missiles which may be classifed as ammunition, but you probably wont come across these in day to day living.

The best source of current information is to call the Department of Justice at 916-227-307. Ask for the Firearms Division. what they tell you will not have the force of law, but they will let you know what is currently on the books. They will NOT comment on pending legislation so don't bother to ask about the .50 caliber ban which is on hold...at least until after the November elections! Hope this helps.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    11thcanopy11thcanopy Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mark for the reply.

The reason for the question was that I had sold a lot of collector cartridges to a buyer in california and wanted to be sure it was a legal deal.

Thanks, Jim De Witt
  • Options
    doomsknight62doomsknight62 Member Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    California sure has some weird laws. All of your politicians sound like they're afraid of guns. I would like to see some crime statistics from CA, particularly some stats on gun-related crime. If you compare your gun-related crime rate to another similarly-populated state, I wonder how it stacks up. In other words, are all those strange, made-by-paranoid-fools laws doing anything worthwhile? I'm going to have to go look this up.

" God is in His Heaven, All is Right in the World. "
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim,

I, too, have sold a lot of collector ammo to the prisoners of the People's Republik . . . as well as those unfortunate enough to live in similarly repressive areas of our country. I try to be somewhat conversant w/ the local BS, but as a condition of sale, in addition to proof of age, I do require a signed statement that it is legal for the buyer to buy, possess & receive the ammo involved in the transaction in the jurisdiction of their residence. I'm not sure how much protection that affords me, but at least I've made a good faith effort to observe the law, FWIW.

REALLY GREAT finally to see another cartridge collector on these boards! It's been kind of lonely surrounded by all these gun nuts
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those of you who ship firearms, ammunition, or mags to other states should have a copy of State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms (ATF P 5300.5). Federal law requires that such shipments comply with laws in the receiving state.

Neal