In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

on the road again.....

ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
can you have a loaded magazine in your car? say you have one in the glove box and your gun is in the trunk, legal? is it state to state? and if so how about wisconsin? does it matter is it's handgun or rifle? lot's of variable to one simple question. all feedback is welcome. thanks alot, cody

Comments

• Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are in another state and a cop finds a loaded clip, you just gave him probable cause. I think the NRA has a site on it's website that will help you research different states laws. Good luck.

Pass on the tradition, teach a kid to shoot.
  • Options
    rewirerog2rewirerog2 Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not want to risk it, I like my guns too much. I always transport with the ammunition and clips in one locked box and the weapons either in a locked case or trigger locks on. Having a loaded magazine in your vehicle would make an LEO extremely nervous.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A while back I checked with the Highway Patrol here in Kansas, they said; quote:"On the highway you could have a loaded firearm anywhere in your vehicle (under the seat, in the glovebox ... whatever) However, most all towns/cities had restrictions aginst it; the ammo and firearm had to then be stored seprate, such as one in the glove box and the other in the trunk."

=================================================================
    Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    General rule of thumb is that the gun cannot be immediately loaded and used. The idea is that you are safely transporting the gun to the place of intended use and it is not to be ready prior to that use.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead