In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shim Scope or Dremel Base??

Point BlanksPoint Blanks Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
I mounted a Leupold VX-II 4X12X40 AO on my Savage 10FPLE-E using medium height rings.The scope sits almost 1/4" above the barrel on the AO side.When i went to boresight at 50 yards(bolt removed)i was still maybe 2" high with the elevation adjustment dialed all the way down.After slipping a peice of thin cardboard under the rear ring(twist in type)it appears that i am very close,but with my elevation all the way down.Using the twist in type rings and bases i am limited on how much more i can shim before the screws will not catch so should i keep adding peices of alum. can till the screws will not catch or should i maybe dremel the bottom of the bases some?? Also,would i save myself much grief by just buying a low set and seeing if the scope clears the barrel?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Comments

• Options
    maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try useing a long range base. the front is lower than the rear, but not so much that you notice it. they usually come with either 15 or 20 minute cants at 100 yds.this should bring the front of your scope down enough.

Give your kids roots and wings. and dont forget the guns!!
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRY SWITCHING THE RINGS AROUND, NOT SURE ON THIS MODEL, BUT MAYBE YOU ALSO CAN TRY SWITCHING BASES. ALSO MOVE BOTH SCOPE ADJUSTMENTS BACK TO THE CENTER, AND TRY A SHOT, MAYBE AT 25YDS IF YOU CAN, YOU MIGHT NOT BE AS FAR OFF AS YOU THINK.
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    You go cutting material off the bottom of that ring & it'll never provide you with a consistent platform because it won't be flat; every shot will cause it to rock on the high spots. Sometimes I'll resort to hand-machining something so it'll work (like the time the slot in a Garand 'scope adapter wouldn't fit over the sight screw flanges on my receiver) but in this case I'd find another base and / or ring combination. Your scope's reticle should be centered with the adjustment screws before it's mounted in the rings of your choice, then the ring(s) adjusted to bring your aimpoint close to point-of-impact at (say) 25 or 50 yards. Leave the range of adjusters generous both ways to keep the scope construction working for you to protect it from recoil shock.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better try a pair of the Burris signature rings with the eccentric ring inserts. If you're off that much, I suspect a problem with the mounts or mismatched rings. I sold a guy a rifle all set up and when he tried to sight it in it was too far off to adjust. Discovered that while mounting I had two different rings installed. It looked fine but there was enough difference to prevent proper alignment.

Mobuck
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reverse the bases.
    Hole spacing is the same. Radius is the same. Easy to reverse, but they won't sit correctly.
    The rear should be the higher one. About 0.115 higher.
    That will drop the objective. That will drop the Line of Sight almost 18" @ 100 yds.
    25 yards is a much better distance. Too easy to be off at 50.
    Shoot at 25

NEVER shim the ring. Especially with paper.....?!

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    moredesmoredes Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with a couple of the posts. Switch the rings, not the bases- the bases should be one-way only. If that doesn't work, drop the green for a set of Burris Signature Zee rings and a set of their plastic offset inserts. It's probably the cheapest way to adjust elevation/windage. Another is the sloped scope mount that has been mentioned. Never shim between the ring and scope.

Edited by - moredes on 09/28/2002 04:53:16
  • Options
    Point BlanksPoint Blanks Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the great idea's!!! Guess my best bet is the Burris Sig. rings.Thx again...
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a follow up on my post.
    Your post suggests that you have a turn in (dove tail) base in the rear.
    So, either your using dual dovetails (F & R turn ins), or the the windage adjustable base( side screws) is mounted in the front.
    Because the hole spacing is the same, etc. it is possible to have reversed the bases. Higher one belongs in the rear on this rifle.
    It is possible to have:
    > mismatched bases
    > mismatched rings

Turn in bases/rings can sit higher dur to necessary clearances. The model 110 uses the same bases, so this is a very common set up.

If,...all is correctly installed, going to 'low' rings will drop the scope about 1/8". That will easily put you on the mark w/o using too much adjustments.
    Burris Sigs, are a great invention, and also will work, but there is something else off.

Happy Bullet Holes!