In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question re Baikal Double.410 Shotgun

rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'm interested in the Baikal .410 but I have heard it is made on the 20 gauge frame and is heavier than it should be for a .410. I have a Baikal O/U 20 gauge and like it a lot, considering the price. On it the thickness of the chamber wall is about 3/16" and distance between chambers a tad more. A .410 on the same frame would have about double those dimensions. I need any info anyone can offer about whether the .410 is actually on a .410 frame or larger frame. I could be interested in either a SxS or O/U. Thanks, Robert

Comments

• Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Robert, I have the .410 o/u and would compare it against your 20 ga. to see if its the same frame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Steve45, I measured my 20 gauge with breech full open. At area nearest to where firing pin holes are, across frame outside measures 1 7/16", inside at same place 1 1/16". Curious what your .410 measures. Robert
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello Robert, I am at work now will get back to you when I get home.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello Robert, I apoligize for being so late. I had a housefull of company when I got home. I measured my .410 and the dimensions are the same as your 20 gauge. It looks like the .410 is built on the 20 ga. frame. How do you like the 20?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think the 20 gauge Baikal O/U is great for the money. All the bells and whistles at a low price. Nothing fancy. The insides are full of stamped sheet metal parts. Lots of visible tool marks. If they are of proper material and proper heat treat they should last as long as a person will need the gun. The Russians are big on simple and durable things, the AK for example. I was in Russia about 30 years ago and they had shotguns in the Moscow export shop for very cheap prices but they were very crude, even compared to the cheapest US doubles like Stevens. Heavy, with thick barrels with no effort at making the gun look good. The Baikal of today is finished better than the old economy US shotguns. Hope this helps. Robert