In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 Win VS 338?

RedchesRedches Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
I'm thinking of selling my 1965 Model 70 30-06 for either a 300 Win. or a 338. I am doing this because I may have a chance at an Elk hunt in Idaho next fall. I allready own a 7MAG, and with this opportunity, I want to bring/buy a rifle to keep forever. This rifle will be set up with a synthetic stock, and If it gets beat up, thats fine. Which caliber should a guy get??? I assume the biggest animal I'll ever hunt will be a moose, or possibly a bear, so what is your input guys?? and gals????

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot elk with both the 7 mag and the 300mag. As far as killing them both will do the job but the 300 seems to get their attention with the first hit where the 7 mag hits and they keep going longer. I don't have experience with the 338 mag but I do have a 338/06 and will say that the recoil from the heavier 338 bullets may cause problems. If you are definitely planning on moose/bear in the future you might be better off with the 338 mag but to be honest, the 7 mag is plenty for elk at any normal range.

Mobuck
  • Options
    GPWEAPONGPWEAPON Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's generally acknowledged that the 338 will take any game in North America. The recoil can be heavy. I bought a Ruger in 338 the acuracy was poor. 10" @ 100 yds. I bought a muzzle brake / barrel tuner from QUE Industries and got a 200 gr.Speer soft point with Reloader 19 to print a dime at 200 yds. off sand bags. Made it quite bearable to shoot.I don't know how the Boss system reduces recoil but the barrel tunner is the way to go. I would not settle for any gun that would not shoot 1 moa or less. Haveing lived and hunted in Idaho I would expect longer shots. There are too many other things to go wrong in the field to have to worry about weather the shot goes where you called it. good luck
  • Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the 338, the recoil will feel comparable to a 300 magnum with 200 gr. bullets, maybe less. To me, a 338 seems to push rather than the sharp jolt of the 300's. Use the Nosler Partition bullets and you will be well armed. Good Luck if you go.