In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SIAMESE MAUSER IN 45-70

SNIPER1048SNIPER1048 Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
WHAT CAN ANYONE TELL ABOUT A SIAMESE MAUSER THAT HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO 45-70 GOV. CART? THE GUY SAID THIS THING HAD A DOUGLAS BARREL THE ACTION MODIFIED TO TAKE THE 45-70 GOV. HE HAD FOUR. WANTED TO SELL ONE. ANY ONE HAD EXP. WITH ONE OF THESE AND HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH? THANKS!

"START THE BALL ROLLING THERE, TECTOR"

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot depends on the way the action was modified. Probably most important is check how it feeds and if possible the headspace. The original siamese round was tapered considerably more than the 45/70 so the feed rails need to be modified to feed the new round. Other than those two things, the action itself is adequate for the 45/70 hopped up to almost 458 mag capabilities (I wouldn't if it was me). There was an action cover on the siamese that is usually removed and the remaining grooves smoothed and a few other amenities resulting in a smoother and nicer looking rifle. The Gibbs company is making a 45/70 on the MK4 enfield action at this time and they cost $350 or more and aren't as strong as the siamese.

Mobuck
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    I'VE MADE SEVERAL OF THESE OVER THE YEARS AND THE CONVERSION IS FAIRLY SIMPLE. WORTH WOULD DEPEND ON THE QUALITY OF THE WORK, START AT ABOUT $200 FOR A SIMPLE JOD AND GO UP FROM THERE. THE ACTIONS ARE A COPY OY THE GERMAN M-98 BUT ARE NOT IDENTICAL, VERY STRONG BUT NOT AS WELL MADE AS A GERMAN M-98. WE USED TO BUY THESE FROM SARCO FOR 3/$75.