In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WESTPOINT

papas$papas$ Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited September 2002 in Ask the Experts
Can you tell me any info on a WESTPOINT 30-06 model 410 K. Westfield
MASS. I can find no info in all of my books. (maker-value and any info.) Thanks papas$ (P.S.) I can buy this rifle for $150.00. Is it worth it.

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never heard of it but any sporter in 30-06 in good condition is worth $150. I suspect it was made by a large gunmaker and marked with a private label for Montgomery Ward or Sears or the like.
    A description of the action might help.
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen the Westpoint name on guns at the local pawnshops and gun shops around here. I think Wards carried them. They were either Winchester, Savage, or Mossberg(they used to make some fine rifles). Either way, they were usually just a little more "plain jane" than the name brand, but just as well put together.

Pass on the tradition, teach a kid to shoot.
  • Options
    papas$papas$ Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. The action is a well built bolt action. It also has a chekered forarm and stock. Thought it may be Savage, but no luck there. Still looking
    papas$
  • Options
    queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    West Point (two words) original manufacture is Marlin the referance I found is for the Mod.45 house brand-to Mod.60 Marlin. Hope this is some help in finding your org.man.
  • Options
    GatofeoGatofeo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per "Official Guide to Gunmarks, Third Edition (1996)" by Robert H. Balderson:
    "WESTPOINT - Trade name on arms made by Savage for Cotter & Company."

I have no idea who Cotter & Company was, but I suspect it was one of the many hardware and sporting goods enterprises that bought thousands of firearms from regular manufacturers with trade names specially stamped on them.
    I find no other reference to Westpoint or Cotter.

"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44!"
  • Options
    flinchflinch Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Glenfield .22 ( Marlin ) that was called a Westpoint.
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cotter & Co. Model 410 is a Savage 110E.

Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now, I can buy more ammo.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's Savage or Marlin and in good cond.it's well worth $150.00

ATF