In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thompson model 1927 A1

pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just had an offer in trade for my Motorhome and the guy had a 1927 A1 Thompson carbine. It was in really good shape and the serial number was in the 12,000's.

What is a gun like this worth in good shape?

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I assume you are talking about a semi auto one.

New they are just over $1000. Used probably $800ish.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sometimes they work and sometimes they don't
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Yes, semi-auto

quote:sometimes they work and sometimes they don't

This is what a friend of mine said as well. He actually said they were a turd as soon as I mentioned it.

The guy also had a M1 Garand, it was in pretty good shape with the usual dings throughout the stock.

My friend said that he would take the M1 over the thompson any day as it would be easier to sell.

Thanks guys.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Thompson is the kind of gun you take to the range once, then say, "I'm done with it." In order to make it work from a closed bolt, it was redesigned with the heaviest recoil spring known to man. VERY hard to pull the bolt back.

I think the only variant that will always be easy to resell is the SBR version, as it has "the look".

Neal
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    The Thompson is the kind of gun you take to the range once, then say, "I'm done with it." In order to make it work from a closed bolt, it was redesigned with the heaviest recoil spring known to man. VERY hard to pull the bolt back.

I think the only variant that will always be easy to resell is the SBR version, as it has "the look".

Neal

Thank you.