In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shipping long guns and assault rifles

delsouldelsoul Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello all, forgive me for all these questions about shipping. I am learning and getting to know the biz.

What is the proper procedure for shipping long guns and assault rifles? Does the same next day air UPS apply when shipping these like they do with hand guns? Is the postal service an option for long guns? Thanks in advance. BTW-- Sold my Beretta Tomcat for buy now price and now I know how to ship the darn thing, much appreciated...

-Mike

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easiest way to ship long guns is by priority mail, you don't have to deal with the UPS or FedEx bloodsuckers.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Rufe said- long guns- rifle and shotguns, MAY be mailed in the US mail. If crossing a state line, should be to a FFL holder- or you can mail to yourself (going on hunting trip, mail to destination)

A TRUE assualt rifle is a full auto, and there are restrictions on mailing those. If you mean a semi-auto, such as an AR-15, that is merely a rifle. CAN be mailed. Google search for Domestic Mail Manual, Firearms, and you can read it. Post Office CAN require that you demonstrate that gun is not loaded.

You can also ship by UPS or FedEx, does NOT need to be Next Day Air- that is their requirement for handguns.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by delsoul
    Hello all, forgive me for all these questions about shipping. I am learning and getting to know the biz.

What is the proper procedure for shipping long guns and assault rifles? Does the same next day air UPS apply when shipping these like they do with hand guns? Is the postal service an option for long guns? Thanks in advance. BTW-- Sold my Beretta Tomcat for buy now price and now I know how to ship the darn thing, much appreciated...

-Mike

Just curious regarding use of the term assault rifle - is using this any indication of where the rifle may be sent? I completely agree with 11b6r, semi auto ARs, HKs, AKs, etc are not assault rifles but in states like CA, NY, MA, NJ, the term is tossed about and they do have what are referred to as an "Assault Weapon Ban" or restrictions not found on long guns not within those state's AW classification.

There may also be magazine limits to be aware of also.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Under federal law, there is no such thing as an "assault rifle".

However, several states have "assault weapon" laws that may or may not cover the guns that used to be considered "assault weapons" under federal law during the so-called assault rifle ban. Some states rescinded their bans after the federal law expired, some didn't. The only practical way to find out which states restrict the sale of which firearms is to check ATF P5300.5, State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms.

For the seller, this doesn't matter. You will always be shipping to an FFL, & HE is the one responsible for determining the legal status of the gun. Even in a state where a gun is not legal for civilian ownership, the FFL can still sell it to a LEA or a dealer in another state.

Neal
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So you got from the above posts that you can ship a longgun to another state ONLY to yourself or to an FFL right? There can be state or local regulations more restrictive than those of the BATF, right? It is in your best interest to know those as well.