In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

K31 Swiss ammo ?

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
The coyotes are getting thick around here and i guess the purists would frown on me using a K31 for this but i am better with open sites on fast game.
Ques. I need an ammo that will expand. I have never shot this particular rifle and do need some good practice sessions before i hunt. What would be a good ammo to buy in bulk and and the source. Much appreciated.

Comments

• ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have to buy commercial/ new mfg to get soft point ammo for the 7.5 Swiss. All of the surplus is FMC. The cheapest will be the Yugo mfg , Priv Partizan, or Wolf Gold. I suppose you could buy the surplus and substitute a soft point bullet for the FMC if you wanted to go to the trouble of pulling them. I know of no "bulk" hunting ammo.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cahas,

the only expanding 7.5 Swiss ammo I could find was this:

http://www.grafs.com/product/261052

Normally, I would say Prvi or Wolf. But in this case they are the same. They make a 174 Soft point. Or, you could go with Norma but those are twice what the Hornady is. wolf/Prvi is out because I understand they had a big fire at their manufacturing plant. No word on any products from them. It's a shame as they kept a lot of oddball calibers like this supplied.

That's about your best best. But it is $23.99 a box. You can get a lot less expensive with any of the FMJ's available. Wolf, Prvi, and Ruag all are in stock at MidwayUSA, Graf's and Sons, and Wideners. Do a web search and you can come up with more suppliers. It's a question of how ethical you feel when shooting coyotes with a FMJ bullet. I personally wouldn't have a problem. But, I know some do and some states won't allow the taking of ANY animal with them.

Edit:

this is a really good time to learn to reload for this caliber. It has the very common .308 dia. bullets and loads like any other bottle-necked case.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soft point K 31 hunting ammo has always been expensive, even before the nobama gun panic of the last 11 months. Doubtful if the SP's would even expand on a dog, their made for big game. Since the K 31 uses standard .308 bullets, either pull the bullets from Swiss military ball ammo, ( also very expensive), and replace them with 125 grain ballistic tips. Or better yet buy a .223.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Or shoot as is, they are yotes.........
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well a soft point might cut down on rhicochet somewhat.. But when useing a round like that for thin bodied dogs/yotes, there is still a good chance of a flier.

Be careful when you pick your shots.JMHO
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cahas
    The coyotes are getting thick around here and i guess the purists would frown on me using a K31 for this but i am better with open sites on fast game.
    Ques. I need an ammo that will expand. I have never shot this particular rifle and do need some good practice sessions before i hunt. What would be a good ammo to buy in bulk and and the source. Much appreciated.

For practice anything could work.

Its not ideal, but personally I think non-expanding 7.5 ammo is probably adequate for coyotes.

You have to figure most 'yotes are likely hunted with .22 caliber guns. An *UN-expanded* 7.6mm diameter round is still going to make a bigger entry wound than a not yet expanded 5.56 mm (.223), and the Swiss round is still far more powerful. You're probably going to get a through-and-through wound almost no matter what angle you hit at.

The caveat here is that vital areas on a coyote just aren't all that big. With non-expanding bullets you have to be EXTRA-careful about shot placement, and that can be harder at distance with iron sights.