In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shipping a hand gun

delsouldelsoul Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
What is the legal procedure for shipping a handgun? Can I do it with USPS or UPS? I learned I can only ship ammo via UPS or FedEx but what about a unloaded handgun? Do I need to mark the outside of the box? Any info is appreciated...

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to ship it by either UPS or FedEx. It has to be shipped to FFL "01" licensee, unless it's a "Curio & Relic", then it can be shipped to a person who has a "03" license. The package should not be marked in any way to show that it contains a handgun.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rest of the story- sending UPS or FedEx, THEY require that it be shipped from a hub, not a "UPS Store" and that you ship Next Day Air- rather pricy- about $65. A DEALER or MANUFACTURER can ship a handgun by US Mail- you cannot. May be cheaper for you to pay a dealer to mail it by Priority Mail.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    Only those of us who are dealers can use the US Mail to ship handguns, although there are a few very narrow exceptions (which will not apply to 99% of the people on this planet). This leaves UPS of FedEx and both companies have a rule that all handguns must be shipped by air, which is very pricey...And from previous posts we all know that you are very price conscious. Non licensee shippers talk about prices in the $50-60 range (as opposed to $10-15 to mail the same pistol) to ship using UPS or FedEx. The package has to be shipped from the depot because none of the contract stations will handle handguns.

You are going to get hammered with the Beretta Tomcat that you have listed at a flat ten bucks shipping, unless it goes through an FFL dealer who can mail it for you.
  • delsouldelsoul Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate all the feedback on this issue. It has helped alot. It's not that I am consumed with pricing but more concerned with doing the right thing.

-Mike
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been able to ship handguns from a UPS counter in a Hardware Store, rather than going to the Hub. I even contacted the Hub Manager in advance and he said that was fine.

In response to Nmyers...I would think it would be on the Hardware Store that shipped it then, they are the sub-contractor for UPS. The UPS delivery driver was standing there and actually showed the Store Clerk how to set it up on the UPS computer because it required an Adult Signature to a Commercial Address with a Copy of the FFL. In addition I paid for additional insurance. Another Clerk advised that an FFL frequently ships through that Hardware Store. I am not an FFL, I was simply delivering the firearms for shipment, for the sending FFL as his employee. Nonetheless both times, the pistols arrived to their destinations without incident to the receiving FFLs, and neither were shipped next day air...one took 2.5 weeks to arrive in Alaska

not arguing with you, just giving input
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What counts is "The Tariff", the codified rules of UPS.

Regardless of what Shilowar was told verbally, firearms & ammo can only be shipped from a "hub". The only exception is if you have a regularly scheduled pickup from your home/work. If you ship in violation of this rule & the gun is lost or damaged, UPS will not reimburse you; if you break their rules, they will break your ovaries.

Neal
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    In my area the UPS stores won't even take properly marked small arms cartridges! Only the hub station will accept loaded ammo. One idiot at the local UPS store said he couldn't take loaded ammo because there might be a "misfire!" Everyone on here is correct about the outraegous charges by UPS on handgun shipping. I just paid $55 to ship a revolver to S&W.
  • jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did that recently- got charged $45 from FFL to FFL.quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    The rest of the story- sending UPS or FedEx, THEY require that it be shipped from a hub, not a "UPS Store" and that you ship Next Day Air- rather pricy- about $65. A DEALER or MANUFACTURER can ship a handgun by US Mail- you cannot. May be cheaper for you to pay a dealer to mail it by Priority Mail.
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 970 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would dispute Nmyers assertions about loss or damage. As an attorney and gun enthusiest I have shipped a dozen or more handguns via ups over the last few years. As long as you state the contents and value and it is properly packed, if the UPS employee accepts the package, if dammage or loss occurs they will have to cover, The tariffs or company policy will have no bearing. If you fail to divulge the actual contents or lie about it , you would be in trouble