In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

North Korean SKS

TurkeychaserTurkeychaser Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have an SKS that was given to me some time ago by a friend who's father brought it back from Vietnam in "69. i have never noticed the circle and star on the reciever until yesterday. After a few internet seaches i realize i have a NK SKS. After speaking with hear last night. Her father was with a cavalry unit that seized a weapons catche in Cambodia. The weapons were new. The weapon has some minor surface rust. i pulled the gas tube last night and realized that the piston appears to be new. Upon close examination of the bolt and firing pin, it shows no wear. This weapon may have been fired, but not very much. Can someone please tell me what i have here. In checking with her, there are no capture papers.
Thanx!

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    pictures of all markings will tell the story here and give you insite as to what you have
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do have a NK SKS's it would be one of three "Holy Grail" guns to a SKS collector, along with the East German and North Vietnamese. Even with the way things are now, with so many folks out of work and hurting, it still would be a big buck item to a collector.

Put it on the auction if it's positively identified as being North Korean with lots of quality photos. Be prepared for a wild ride.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    Capture papers would be nice but in this case they really are not needed since there is only one way that a NK SKS carbine made it into the USA (naturally NK does not export their firearms to the United States): I had to come from Vietnam. Just like rufe-snow said; no matter what teh economy might be like there are ALWAYS collectors with money out there happy to reach deep into their pockets for a super rare item like that because in the condition you describe (basically new) it may be a once in a lifetime chance to fill the NK blank spot in their SKS collection. Put up a link to the auction when you are ready to go.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's cool.
    Could you post some pictures?