In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Taurus PT22 DIFFICULT slide

Got2FlyGot2Fly Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Just picked up the missus' Taurus PT22.

Brand new.

Slide action is near impossible to actuate. Feels like it's connected to one of the leaf springs in my truck! [:(!]

If you're persistent you can get it to actuate but it's WAY beyond what I would consider normal and/or acceptable. Note: there is no binding, its just got that much tension on it.

With the tip-up barrel loaded and a full magazine the gun will fire and eject the spent cartridge. It WILL NOT chamber the next round.

I haven't gotten the hammer, sawzall, and duct tape out yet but am considering it![:0]

Any advice?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bring it back quick! It's a Taurus. Get your money back and get a real gun!
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    friend got a used one & i douched it with oil & helped a little but seeing everything works great, tipped up & loaded & rattled off a full clip OK... but just to much spring tension to easily operate especially old fingers ...my beretta is easy to operated...next will do something to the springs....if new & can return, do so & get a beretta
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .22 ammo varies allot. Try some hotter high speed loads. CCI Mini-Mag solids are my standard go-to loads. Due to the round nose bullet configuration and hotter loading, they will function through any semi-auto mechanism, ( THATS OPERABLE ). If the Taurus won't work with them, it won't work with anything. Send it back.
  • Got2FlyGot2Fly Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spoke to Taurus who indicated that it should be loaded thru the tip-up barrel and not like a semi-auto. That contradicts what the book says by the way - can load utilizing either method. They are going to send another magazine though.
    They also recommended running a few rounds thru it to break in the action.
    Spoke to Casey out at Conway's Firearms in Arizona (seller) who told me this was a common occurrence with the PT22. "Oil it up and fire 50 rounds thru it. It'll get a lot better!"
    That was all I needed to hear.
    Off to do some shootin!

Thanks to all.
  • jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a PT-25- same frame etc. I always tip up the barrel to load it.quote:Originally posted by Got2Fly
    Spoke to Taurus who indicated that it should be loaded thru the tip-up barrel and not like a semi-auto. That contradicts what the book says by the way - can load utilizing either method. They are going to send another magazine though.
    They also recommended running a few rounds thru it to break in the action.
    Spoke to Casey out at Conway's Firearms in Arizona (seller) who told me this was a common occurrence with the PT22. "Oil it up and fire 50 rounds thru it. It'll get a lot better!"
    That was all I needed to hear.
    Off to do some shootin!

Thanks to all.
  • MSHARKMMSHARKM Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my mrs. has one also. i couldnt talk her out of it. similar problems until i found ammo that it likes. try federal champion, comes in a box of 550 and solved problem. good luck.
  • pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a pt 25 and put 100 rounds through it and still can't move the slide back.load it through the tip up forget the slide
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a straight BLOWBACK semi auto pistol you have two things controling proper function the weight of the slide and the strength of the recoil spring . the lighter the slide "smaller the pistol " then the stronger the recoil spring must be. No way around it except design a different locking system .