In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1903-A3 correct barrel?

yellowjacket7375yellowjacket7375 Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I want to pass on a Rem. 1903-A3 #4137909. This gun has a pitted bore I'm not sure as whether to try and get a 4 or 2 groove barrel to replace this one. I would appreciate any input on this subject.[?]

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have rifles with A3 barrels in both 2 and 4-groove. I find very little difference accuracy-wise. Assuming good condition bores, they both shoot about the same. You might want to check out the writings of Brophy, Canfield, and Hatcher on this subject.

Are you looking to replace a pitted barrel or looking for a different rifle than #4137909?
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The two-groove seems to handle different bullet weights better in the several 1903-A3 rifles I have had. From my testing and experience a two-groove would place everything from a 130 spitzer to a 220 grain RN into a group you could cover with the palm of your hand at 100 yards. It has something to do with barrel harmonics and compensating for the different weights.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you trying to keep the rifle confirmationally correct? Most of the A3 models originally had 2 groove. I prefer the Smith-Corona rifles for their 4 groove barrel and would not fault any of the 4 I have accuracy wise.