In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rossi Single Shot Rifles

sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I saw a clearence on one of the Rossi 22-250 varmint rifles with the heavy barrel with scope included for $186. at Dicks Sporting Goods.

Are these rifles worth the money for some occasional fun shooting varmits?

Any members own one?

Your thoughts?

Comments

• sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I found some Rossi single shot rifles for $139 new-in-box. These have the stainless receivers and barrels. I am trying to decide between the .357 Mag and the .44 Mag. Heck, for this price I might buy both. Are these rifles any good? Never heard much about them.

EMSParamedic.gif
    I'm clear, you're clear, everybody's clear...SHOCK!!!
    edited November -1
    what do you guys think of the rossi single shot rifles? looking at 1 used but like new in .223 and a 12ga barrell.what do think this combo is worth?thanks in advance don
    keep on bangin boys[:D]
    edited November -1
    My two eldest kids just received their hunter safety certificates. I am looking for an inexpensive rifle for both small game hunting and/or deer hunting. The Rossi matched sets seem to be the ticket, especially for the price, but I have heard a lot of negative recently. Any opinions?
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had some folks buy them fro mme and where NOT happy with the results. There is a reason its on clearance. Buy the H&R for a few more dollars.
  • huffmanitehuffmanite Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The $189 price is about $30 below what I paid for a standard barrel 223 rossi that came with a scope. Mine has a stiff trigger pull, but shoots decent at one hundred yards, when I shoot from a bench. Nice little rifle to plink with, but I never expected it to be a tack driver and it isn't.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I had bought one in 44mag and the bluing would wipe off with my hand.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of the few gun purchases I ever regreted was a Rossi rifle
    edited November -1
    I guess that is why Dicks has them on clearence.

I did go ahead and buy the rifle since it had the button rifling and the heavy barrel. Its in 22-250 so I suspect it will be decent out to 300+ yards on Yotes. I will give a range report once I try it out.

If it turns out to be inaccurate I will start building up my cash kitty for a Savage or Stevens.
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one on sale from Gander Mtn for $125. It was 7.62x39. It wouldnt fire anything I put in it.(all military stuff, wolf ammo) The customer service told me that it wasnt designed to shoot this ammo, I needed to use better stuff. I only bought it to shoot the cheap stuff so I sold it. For the price I probably should have held on to it. I also own a few NEF handi rifles in .223, 44mag and 12slug. Much nicer imo but also pricier.