In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any knife experts here, KA-BAR ??

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I found this at a local rumage sale, I didn't know KA_BAR made them (nice fish knife). Is it worth any thing??
KAY-BAR.jpg

Comments

• gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Where is it marked KA-BAR?
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike,

They aren't rare. Or to my knowledge really sought after. But, like good k-Bars that they are, they'll hold value. I'd say $20-$25.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    "Where is it marked KA-BAR?"......THE SHEATH IS SO MARKED AS WELL AS THE BLADE. $4 AT THE GARAGE SALE[:D]
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Good deal for $4.00!
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell of a deal, send it to them to resharpen for you.
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where is Spider? He should have the answer.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • makindumakindu Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most knives nowadays, are made in China (including ALL KA-BARS), and their version of stainless steel is a couple of magnatudes lower in quality versus what we knew we getting when the blade was stamped "Made in the USA" and forged using 440 carbon steel. I buy every old KA-BAR I stumble across, if it is stamped USA.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by makindu
    Most knives nowadays, are made in China (including ALL KA-BARS), and their version of stainless steel is a couple of magnatudes lower in quality versus what we knew we getting when the blade was stamped "Made in the USA" and forged using 440 carbon steel. I buy every old KA-BAR I stumble across, if it is stamped USA.

That is NOT true! Although all folding Ka-Bars are made overseas (except some special-edition USA folders) in China, Japan, Italy and Taiwan, all of their fighting and camping knives are made in Olean, NY and stamped KA-BAR USA.

Mike's knife was probably made when Cole Consumer Products in Ohio owned the Ka-Bar franchise in the 1960's & early 1970's and made kitchen cutlery. When Alcas bought the Ka-Bar name and returned manufacturing to Olean, NY in 1975, they left the kitchen line to their CUTCO division and the fighting & sporting knives to Ka-Bar.
  • ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

Mike's knife was probably made when Cole Consumer Products in Ohio owned the Ka-Bar franchise in the 1960's & early 1970's and made kitchen cutlery. When Alcas bought the Ka-Bar name and returned manufacturing to Olean, NY in 1975, they left the kitchen line to their CUTCO division and the fighting & sporting knives to Ka-Bar.

That knife looks very similar to a 41+ year old CUTCO Carver that I have. It's a fantastic knife. I just got it back from CUTCO for a sharpening.