In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1851 Colt Markings ID

rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
This is a Colt I have had 25 years or more. I have heard the I.P. marks may indicate Ivory grips and something else special. It has only 6" barrel. The front sight is silver, inletted and staked at each end. See photos of numbers and pistol with its holster. Any info appreciated.

edit Yes it is I.P. also on butt. (I changed the original text) Thanks. Upon studying it again, I find a very tiny W on the butt between the screw and forward edge.

51_Colt_Nbrs.jpg

002138.JPG

Comments

• JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rhmc24
    This is a Colt I have had 25 years or more. I have heard the I.R. marks may indicate Ivory grips and something else special. It has only 6" barrel. The front sight is silver, inletted and staked at each end. See photos of numbers and pistol with its holster. Any info appreciated.

More likely it is I.P. than I.R.

Although I don't know if it's ever been proven/verified with period correspondence, I.P. is considered by collectors to represent Ivory grips and extra Polishing.

Barrel has likely been cut, but there are some rare shorter than standard barrels out there.

EDIT: Small letters and numbers on the various parts of a Colt percussion revolver are usually factory inspectors.

John
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear some Colt factory records are available and others have been lost. Do 1851 Navy records exist? Considering this was probably a special order gun or was sent back for upgrade, it would probably be worth a letter. Opinions?

edit Thanks Spider.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rhmc24
    I hear some Colt factory records are available and others have been lost. Do 1851 Navy records exist? Considering this was probably a special order gun or was sent back for upgrade, it would probably be worth a letter. Opinions?

Colt only has records for 1851 Navy Models numbered 98,000 - 132,000. All the rest were destroyed in a factory fire.